Flat frets already?

merciful-evans

Portsmouth uk
I have a good many flat frets on my CE24 Reclaimed Wood.

Quick update: Purchased new this time last year (18 April 18) in the uk.

In September 2018: returned under warranty for replacement of twisted neck. New neck made in USA and sent back to uk for fitting.

I played the guitar today and felt flat frets upward of the 12th position. Frets at the lower position look correctly crowned & polished (still).

Now I am wondering whether I could have worn several frets flat during these 8 months or whether they were not finished properly prior to sending back to the retailer? If its the latter, was is like this from USA or when fitted at the repair centre in uk?

I dont think I have ever worn frets out this quickly before. I have gigged the guitar twice during this time, and used it lightly at other times. I do play more at the upper position than the lower, but its a marked difference and a lot of 'wear'.

Opinions anyone?

jNFwcE1.jpg

Incidentally I am tough on frets, usually get SS these days. And it still takes me years of daily use to wear the nickel ones significantly.

Maybe they were leveled and not crowned?

That's what it looks like. The lower frets are still gleaming & polished.
It seems unlikely it would be produced in the USA like this. Why would they do half a job?
Or if they were leveled again (in uk) before re-assembly why were they not finished properly?

They look uniform, not worn. Likely crowned that way. Did you not notice when you received it?
No I didnt notice. My eyesight is not great. I need glasses.

I only noticed this through feeling with my fingers, it was only then I took a closer look using magnification.

I've just had a careful look. Actually, none of the frets are perfectly shaped, and there is some light wear at the lower end.

The odd thing is the regular gradation from very narrow flats to broad flats (as pic) from nut to body

Interesting, cause I've been spending some time looking at gear lately and have run into a good amount of PRSi that were new and had frets like that. It was pretty noticeable and I was intrigued by it so much that I really looked at that aspect of the guitar closely on one and went up and down the next trying to find fret buzz or dead spots, *and I couldn't*. It was brand new and it sounded and played that way, fabulous.

I was perplexed, all I could do was think it was a ?new crowning method? I've always been told round tops are the correct way to go.

Maybe Shawn can set the record straight?

I've just had a careful look. Actually, none of the frets are perfectly shaped, and there is some light wear at the lower end.

The odd thing is the regular gradation from very narrow flats to broad flats (as pic) from nut to body

It’s not that odd if you’ve ever leveled frets before. Generally speaking, if you’ve got a high fret somewhere and you’re leaving the nut on, you’ll sand from the heel towards the first fret since there’s more “travel” of the the vibration required in the middle of the string.

It’s not that odd if you’ve ever leveled frets before. Generally speaking, if you’ve got a high fret somewhere and you’re leaving the nut on, you’ll sand from the heel towards the first fret since there’s more “travel” of the the vibration required in the middle of the string.

Well, as a matter of fact I did my first ever fret level on the T-build last month. I researched thoroughly and nearest explanation I found relating to this is the practice of 'fall away'. An (additional and optional) operation to angle back the last 6 or so frets (from the heel join) to create additional relief where string amplitude is greatest. But proper crowning & polishing is still being applied after.

Back