Fitness monitoring...

Good news! I don't need my watch to nag me to exercise.

My wife does that.

Every day.

I guess I just saved $750 (because I'd buy the stainless steel Apple watch). On the other hand, I didn't save $750 because I went shopping at the pro audio store.

Sigh.

Did your wife calculate steps at the audio store?

I'm sure at some point I'll end up with the steel cased Apple Watch. Just can't justify the outlay at this time.

My niece bought one for Xmas, wore it for a month, and I haven't seen it since. :rolleyes:

I need something that gives me a shock every time I get near the kitchen. Maybe something that syncs up to a smart fridge and calls me a fat@ss...

I've avoided wearing watches for many years, but for similar reasons I'm finally considering trying one again. As an Apple user, their watch seems like clearly the right option for me, and I think I'd feel the same as you think you would if I bought something else that lacked the integration/apps/etc. - I believe I already have some apps that would work with it.

If you do decide to go that way, remember you can buy third party bands, or you can do what was suggested above and wait for the new release if you can so you'll get more for your money or maybe get a bit better deal on the models that are not now.

You could also go with the cheaper one and then get the more expensive version whenever it's time to upgrade. I don't know how Apple Watches are holding their value, but their products generally hold their value for resale better than the competition, so you might not be out all that much if you buy and sell at the right times. :)

I think the most important thing is to get something you'll use and be happy with. That's the only way it even stands a chance of helping you!

I'm pretty sure I'll be OK with the Fitbit Alta as a starting point. It is a relatively low cost experiment to see if the nagging-by-wrist is enough motivation for me to change my ways.

If I bought the Apple Watch Sport, I know I'd be unhappy that it was not the steel case version with better bands and band options.

So while I try on the Fitbit for pyschological size, I can watch/wait for possibly the next iteration of Apple Watch and have even more choices.

My wife has a Fitbit. One day she was telling me she took so many THOUSAND steps that day, and she was tired... I did some quick calculations and KNEW there was no way in the world she had taken that many steps. She argued that since she works in the post office (she is a Postmaster) that she is on her feet all day and constantly walking to and from the counter, etc. I said "not possible." She argued on (our version of arguing is her insisting she's right, but me telling her that math is not her strong suit. No yelling or (unfortuately) full contact wresting was involved in the dispute).

So, the numbers in my head were just unimaginable. I couldn't fathom how the thing could even remotely think that she took that many steps... she continued to say "no, I'm worn out, I was on my feet and going ALL DAY!" So, I got out the calculator and first did steps per hour since she left for work. Then steps per minute... According to fitbit, she had taken 1 1/2 steps per SECOND from 7:00AM though 6:00 PM. Since she was in the car on the way to work and from, and had been at home for an hour by 6:00... well, you do the math, she would have had to be SPRINTING for 11 hours straight.

She knows it was reset properly because she said it was on like 50 steps when she left for work that day. The ONLY thing that made any sense to me at all, was that perhaps it thought she walked the 15 miles to work, and home. :D

The moral of this story: Driving is GREAT exercise! :p

I just use the health app on my iphone. It tracks my steps well enough, but it does not register when I'm kayaking or doing yoga or anything that doesn't involve steps.

At work we also use an app called Rally. It will sync with your phone, fitbit or other device and it allows the participant to earn points that can be put towards free stuff. I think the app is tied our health insurance. Earning points provides a little motivation to get up and get moving.

I need something that gives me a shock every time I get near the kitchen. Maybe something that syncs up to a smart fridge and calls me a fat@ss...

I need one of those, too.

It would be a bonus if it also shocked me when visiting guitar or pro audio dealers' stores and websites! :eek:

My niece bought one for Xmas, wore it for a month, and I haven't seen it since. :rolleyes:

I need one of those, too.

It would be a bonus if it also shocked me when visiting guitar or pro audio dealers' stores and websites! :eek:

One word for both of you: wife.

I've been wearing the FitBit Alta for a little over a week. The sleep tracking has been interesting. It looks like i usually sleep pretty well - I just need to work on consistent sleep/awake times.

I'm nowhere near the AHA general guidelines for activity, though. They recommend 5 miles, 10,000 steps and 30 minutes of real activity. I get 4-5,000 steps and about 2.5 miles in and 15-20 minutes of activity.

I'm going to start walking at lunch. And I may skip or tone down the meal itself. The FitBit will track weight (if your enter it each morning) and nag for a goal. I'd like to lose at least 10 pounds.

So, so far, I'm liking the little gadget. And it has really good battery life. I wore it 24 hours a day (except in the shower) for 9 days before it complained that it wanted more electrons.

I've been wearing the FitBit Alta for a little over a week. The sleep tracking has been interesting. It looks like i usually sleep pretty well - I just need to work on consistent sleep/awake times.

I'm nowhere near the AHA general guidelines for activity, though. They recommend 5 miles, 10,000 steps and 30 minutes of real activity. I get 4-5,000 steps and about 2.5 miles in and 15-20 minutes of activity.

I'm going to start walking at lunch. And I may skip or tone down the meal itself. The FitBit will track weight (if your enter it each morning) and nag for a goal. I'd like to lose at least 10 pounds.

So, so far, I'm liking the little gadget. And it has really good battery life. I wore it 24 hours a day (except in the shower) for 9 days before it complained that it wanted more electrons.
That's how it starts. If you really like gadgets, you can get a FitBit scale that will enter the weight for you as long as it can get a wifi connection.

But eating goes so well with bubbles.
I get it though - Mrs. likes to feed friends well.

Ain't that the truth!

I mean, I guess I'm guilty of it as well... I'm the one that showed up with four deep-dish pizzas when we linked up. :rolleyes:

But at least they were small! :D

She's part of the reason I'm fat. I swear, we eat so much and errything we do with friends revolves around eating. :oops:

I chuckle at you calling yourself fat.

Then I sit here and think, "I need Rob or Dusty to take me to that wing place some day..."

I'll be following this thread. I've been thinking about buying a fitness tracker for a while. I just haven't talked myself into it yet.

Back