Favorite flame top

The first major ding, dent, or big scratch is hardest to get over so to speak but I play my instruments, pretty hard at times and I realize it’s expected they will get scratched up. Later today I’m going to post some Pics of my Tonare Grand and how scratched up it got playing bar shows this summer. I’ll post in Show your PRS ware, thread,even though in in electronic guitars . Anyway, my instruments never stay in showroom condition. :D

Agreed, I remember my first ever ding (caused by someone else) and it just made me feel sick. I think its actually kind of liberating though, as you tend to baby it less. My PartsCaster has some lovely belt rash that I'm quite proud of!

Had a major scare with my Martin D18 though when I found what I thought was a serious crack in the soundboard. Tech confirmed it was only in the lacquer though.....!

It's funny. Its a personal thing, but I have never understood the appeal of flame. To me I've always thought it looked a little OTT and would be something I would be afraid of dinging. Probably why I doubt I will ever own a Core!

Never say never! I live in hope!!

The first major ding, dent, or big scratch is hardest to get over so to speak but I play my instruments, pretty hard at times and I realize it’s expected they will get scratched up. Later today I’m going to post some Pics of my Tonare Grand and how scratched up it got playing bar shows this summer. I’ll post in Show your PRS ware, thread,even though in in electronic guitars . Anyway, my instruments never stay in showroom condition. :D

James Taylor has an acoustic guitar in his personal collection, the top of which is paper thin in one area from constant playing. It’s unstable now and can’t be played.

Check out the top of Tommy Emanuel’s acoustic!

IMO a guitar is a “tool to do a job”, yeah you don’t have to beat it up. Ok if you’re a collector then you want them pristine, but it’s all about why you have them/want them.

33917363483_8226875300_b.jpg

Not a great pic, but my 2014 CU24 10-Top and my 2016 Gibson Traditional... (alongside my ESP Mystique, which has a fantastic quilt veneer in its own right...)

Not sure if it’s the best flame but here’s a photo of my “number 1 Guitar”, 1990 custom 24 I’ve been playing for years. Got some dings and dents but the flame still looks great and Whale Blue.

SMhJBzN.jpg
I really should have used the title ‘favorite flame top’ instead. Very nice! That’s a real deep shade of whale blue!

I really should have used the title ‘favorite flame top’ instead. Very nice! That’s a real deep shade of whale blue!

Funny you say that, I was told when I bought it it was Whale Blue but looks more like an indigo. I think in writing in pickup cavity said Whale blue when I changed pickup rings. I’ll check again when I do a string change. ;)

Funny you say that, I was told when I bought it it was Whale Blue but looks more like an indigo. I think in writing in pickup cavity said Whale blue when I changed pickup rings. I’ll check again when I do a string change. ;)
That actually a good thing as it gives more blue to fade. PRS blues have been noted to fade out quite aggressively when exposed to light.

Last edited:
Wow. Your best bet would be a PS with a 3 piece top. Quilted maple in the middle, tight curly maple at the sides. Now that’s an idea.....hmm
It actually happens quite naturally quite often, the hard part is getting the stark contrast between rings...that's where the artists at PRSHQ come in...

It's funny. Its a personal thing, but I have never understood the appeal of flame. To me I've always thought it looked a little OTT and would be something I would be afraid of dinging. Probably why I doubt I will ever own a Core!
It’s a matter of habit and culture I guess, and I believe anyone can adopt either mentality (player mentality vs collector mentality) once you’re exposed to it.

Some apply the player mentality to some guitars in their collection, and the collector mentality to yet other guitars.

It sometimes is dictated by the guitar. Take this one for example:
gJQQDKUl.jpg

It would make me more happy NOT playing this guitar than playing it. Simply owning it and getting to take it out to gaze at, knowing what it could do IF I played it, would bring out the endorphins in waves.

For me, the playing aspect of guitar ownership has never been about the guitar anyway. It’s really about me and how musically I play. It’s about my mind, and that is a constant. Leaving aside really unplayable dodgy guitars of course.

So in that sense, I’m as happy playing an Epiphone or a PRS Collection guitar. I’m VERY happy playing a Bernie Marsden. :)

Last edited:
Wow. Your best bet would be a PS with a 3 piece top. Quilted maple in the middle, tight curly maple at the sides. Now that’s an idea.....hmm
Maybe a Santana? The middle section between the two pickups in a blow your mind quilt?!

Back