Exploring PRS guitars for next guitar, looking for advice...

messageinthenoise

Hey PRS fourm!

Just signed up, mainly a Strat player here, looking at PRS for my next guitar. The PRS feels really really nice to play, and I'm leaning toward getting one - never really considered them before. I play many styles, what I'm looking for in pickup options is to have a rockin' humbucker sound in the bridge position, and options for single-coil sounds all around. In my main strat I have SD hot rails in the bridge, and sock single-coils. Screaming humbucker lead capability must be included in the package.

Was looking at the Custom 24-08, I think it had 85/15s. Also tried the Modern Eagle, with the TCIs and the single-coil in the middle. I dig the single coil in the middle, I like to use that on my strat quite a bit, so nice to have. I would say that while the TCI pups were nice, and sounded great split... they seem to not have the rock power/bite of the 85/15. Have only had limited demo time with these, so looking for some more experienced input. Don't need 24 frets, and seem to prefer sound of neck pickup with 22 frets. Open to new or used, and leaning toward solid body.

Considering this info about what I've been exploring, any recommendations on what to check out/consider from PRS?

Thanks for any help!

It really depends on what you are looking for. Do you want something that is more as a 'compliment' to your Current guitars (I assume you have a Strat) or offer more versatility in a Single instrument.

Most of the Double Humbucker models have some Split options so it comes down to personal preference. The 594, Pauls, Cu24-08 etc all have individual splitting so it comes down to which suits you/your preference best. These are more likely to 'compliment' a Strat than do the stratty thing well.

Then you get the '3+' pick up guitars - Studio (HSS), Special (HSH), MEv (HSH), 509 (HSH) or Fiore (HSS) that offer more versatility and can give you the Humbucker in the bridge with option to split. Maybe the Fiore will suit you 'best' as it may be closest to a 'Strat' with a splittable HB in the Bridge, but you may prefer to add the Special as it's more a 'Double HB' Custom 22 with extra versatility - don't need the middle NF on its own as you have a Strat for that but want the option to have 'both' on HB's like a Les Paul in the middle position instead.

Plenty of video's of the models on PRS youtube - demo's and details on them which may help you narrow down which PRS may suit you best, then its just a case of trying them for yourself to know which one to get first...

The Fiore is really close to what you're looking for, but note that the bridge is not wired to split. 509 and 513 will fit the bill for you. You also may consider an older Swamp Ash Special which can have either H-S-H pickups or 3 Narrowfield pickups which are humbuckers but can also get you into the single coil and P90 neighborhood.

giphy.gif

when considering which PRS I’d go for …

Consider the Studio, or 513/509. The Studio isn’t single coil per se, but the narrowfield in the middle and neck positions have a nice clear tone with great “in-between’ sounds. The 513 or 509 can do all singles or HB combos but the sound is likely less Stratty than you’re used to… the PRS singles have their own personality.

The Fiore is really close to what you're looking for, but note that the bridge is not wired to split. 509 and 513 will fit the bill for you. You also may consider an older Swamp Ash Special which can have either H-S-H pickups or 3 Narrowfield pickups which are humbuckers but can also get you into the single coil and P90 neighborhood.
Not wired to 'split' agreed but instead switches between Series/Parallel wiring of the coil to give a 'Single' coil like sound without hum and having a more 'powerful' pick-up with no volume drop that you can get from 'Splitting' as that can drop the output considerably.

So technically not a Split or even a Tap, but can serve a similar purpose as Bryan explains and demos...

Its not the SAME I know but its Lettieri's preferred sound over 'Split/Tapped' - its Series/Parallel wiring of the 'two' single coils in the Humbucker on a technical level, like arguing whether its 'Tapped' or a 'True' Split when someone say's 'Split' coil sounds when the Purpose is to achieve a 'usable' great tone that sounds more like a purpose built 'Single Coil' that doesn't lose volume or sound weak/awful when switched from Humbucking mode.

My Special has the 'best' Split coil tones in any Guitar I have in my opinion - I prefer it to the 594's and 509 I have - but I have the 58/15 MT's or Multi-Tap so aren't 'true' Splits, the newer models may well have True Splits...

It's still the Closest guitar from a 'Strat' that has the same sort of construction and scale length. The 509 is something you'll love/hate because you can't change the Pups if you don't like them but it is a very versatile guitar with a slightly different scale length at 25.25". I don't know that I'd say it has the best HB or SC tones to my ears, but Good enough to Gig without taking multiple instruments but again comes down to what the OP is really looking for...

The Custom 24 is the quintessential PRS for lots of great reasons that needn’t be beaten to death. You’ve played one so you have a good idea of what it's about.

It’s very hard to beat the 85/15s in the context of your wishlist.

This one’s mine, a 30th Anniversary CU24 with 85/15s I’ve owned since it came out 9 years ago. If I asked the Great Gods of Tone to send me the finest all-around rock machine in the world, it's exactly what they’d send:

81aB0Cr.jpg

I own and love several other timeless, perhaps more vintage-inspired PRS models that have specialized purposes I make use of in my work, and lately I pull out the DGT more often. But as I said, it's more vintage-sounding.

The CU24 would be my recommendation in your case.

It's really hard to blow this decision no matter which PRS model you choose. It's just a matter of determining what suits you best, they all bring the wood, so to speak! ;)

I should mention that there's also the Tremonti if you want something with a very powerful bridge pickup.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the responses! This has been super helpful and got me looking at some other options and thinking a bit differently about what I'm looking for. I was thinking more along the lines of getting all the tones I want in one guitar, but that might not be necessary... and that opens up up getting more guitars. From the posts I see, I should plan on getting 3 or 4 more PRS after this one! :)

One thing I still have some doubts about are the TCI pickups vs 85/15. Looks like TCI are standard in the Custom 24-08 (but not in the Custom 24)... seems that is partly due to the quality of their splitting. It does seem there were older custom 24-08s that had 85/15. I don't think it's inaccurate feeling like the 85/15 is gonna bring more rock power than the TCI, but please correct me if I'm missing the mark there.

I think I'm set on a model with the 25" scale, slightly different than a strat, but it just feels right and not totally unfamiliar.

I'm so used to having single coils in middle/neck pos, I'm not sure I can do without some similar options in a guitar... but maybe I can. I don't need the guitar to be a strat, is part of what I have concluded from this thread. But I do need some deep and funky clean sounds available... I need to get some more time behind the wheel of PRS models. I have not spent enough time with them to figure out "go to" configurations for clean sounds.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pictures of some beautiful guitars in here!

One thing I still have some doubts about are the TCI pickups vs 85/15.
All current Core pickups are TCI.

TCI is simply a method PRS uses in building the pickups: tuned capacitance/inductance. They get measured for these to produce a resonant peak at a certain frequency, and it helps with the pickups becoming consistent from guitar to guitar.

TCI pickups aren't a separate pickup. It's a method, not a separate model.

TCI is simply a method PRS uses in building the pickups: tuned capacitance/inductance. They get measured for these to produce a resonant peak at a certain frequency, and it helps with the pickups becoming consistent from guitar to guitar.

I have read this and understand what you are saying that TCI is process... BUT - the electronics spec in a Custom 24-08 specifically says "TCI" while the Custom 24 says "85/15". The Custom 24-08 pickups are not 85/15. I don't know what to call them besides what the spec says, which is "TCI". Is there a more accurate way to refer to the current pickups in a Custom 24-08? Thx

All Pick-ups may go through the TCI process but the '408' neck, when it was revised for Paul's Guitar, was also named the TCI pick-up and has a TCI 'S' version too to add to the confusion...

So there is a 'TCI' pick-up in Name as well as describing the process...

I have read this and understand what you are saying that TCI is process... BUT - the electronics spec in a Custom 24-08 specifically says "TCI" while the Custom 24 says "85/15". The Custom 24-08 pickups are not 85/15. I don't know what to call them besides what the spec says, which is "TCI". Is there a more accurate way to refer to the current pickups in a Custom 24-08? Thx
I stand corrected.

Apparently they're different now, they look more like the Paul's Guitar pickups I have in this one. They're great pickups, different from the 85/15s I have in the CU24. Plenty hot for me, maybe or maybe not for someone else. But voiced differently as they’re based on the 408 pickup that senses a narrower part of the string, closer to a single coil in detail, but much fatter.

ptKq9zh.jpg

Can they rock out? Sure. But differently.

If you go to 1:57 in this track, you'll hear these pickups on a short solo through a PRS HXDA amp, with no dirt pedals. I don't have the guitar turned all the way up, it's set to about "8" on the guitar volume knob, bridge pickup:

I used this guitar for both rhythm and solo, and both with same amp, same settings. I don't know if this helps or only makes things more confusing.

I also used it on this Mustang Mach E ad, played much cleaner; unfortunately for purposes of this discussion, the client wanted to hear more bass, more bass, and still more bass (!), and had me pull the guitar way, way back in the mix and cut most of the guitar parts, but it gives you an idea of the clarity possible with these pickups. Scroll down to the 4th video on the page:

I wish I had more demos of the guitar posted, I simply don't.

Last edited:
Back