EMERGENCY!! Broken neck.

Thousands have had this happen to their Gibsons. Sometimes sans cat. Seriously, Google it, then recoil in horror. We didn’t start the fire.

So, find a luthier who has fixed this before- there have to be hundreds in the country who have. And get your wallet out. Done.

There's this guy named Paul, who I understood repaired a lot of guitars with that problem. Learned a thing or two. Busy running his own guitar company these days...

Mark, I'm sure you're probably underway getting things taken care of at this point, but I think the thing to remember is that TONS of people have had this happen before and their guitars have been fixed and are just fine (albeit with a little less resale value). I own a LP myself (not as nice as yours) and I just keep telling myself that one day this will happen eventually. Kind of like waiting for that first parking-lot ding in your new car.. kind of.

True story: roughly 15 years ago I went into my guitar shop for lessons (this shop had two brothers who were well-known excellent luthiers, and were dealers of nice gear) only to see a double-neck 6/12-string PRS with one headstock snapped off that had just come in for repair. I will never forget that tragic sight... I still cringe thinking about it to this day. You know what, though? They probably fixed it and it probably plays fine.

QUICK UPDATE! Took the guitar to Guitar Center here in Houston and they told me that the crack was very clean and would be no problem to repair. Fee is $100. I am (at least until I get the patient back home and see that all is well) very relieved. They told me that I was about the tenth Gibson injury for them this year. Seemed like a couple decent lads.

But...Who goes into a guitar store and comes out empty handed? Anyway, since I was the first into the store this morning and they dealt with me very quickly, I had time to poke around and - after going into the PLATINUM room (yes, the PLATINUM room) and drooling over a very fine looking pair of McCarty 10-tops - I stumbled upon a Vox Valvetronix 20 watt. I have really only ever used straight tube amps with no effects. I play jazz and jazz/blues. At the minute I have a Fender Blues Junior and I love it. But, I have heard / read a lot about modeling amps and this one was $180 but down to $120 because of scuff marks and etc. I said ok, come on, and took it home. First thing is how light it is compared to a tube amp, even though it does actually have a tube pre-amp section within. I read through the manual while I watched the UK footy and then I gave it a run with a handful of my guitars, including an SG, a Jeff Beck model Strat and a MIM Strat. All good fun. All sounded really good. But, then I plugged in my S2 Custom 24. My goodness does that thing sound serious through all those heavy duty tones and sounds and reverbs and modelled UK amps!!!!! I realize that a small solid state amp is no replacement for the big rigs and all the pedals but for me, for foolin' around at home, this is - so far - a cool slice of fun.

Anyway, that's my latest news from the broken neck dept. Many thanks to everyone for their thoughts and recommendations etc. Much appreciated!!! And GO PRS!!! :):)

Back