Disappointed to say the least

Alright, alright, I bought up all the damn guitars and yes, because of the demand that created, the value went up just a few hours later so I sold them. I sunk all of the profits into Gamestop on a 'hunch' from the firm Winthorpe and Valentine. Sorry for the confusion, but now I'm off to the island I just purchased in the Caribbean.

So you’re switching locations?

Your S2 594 will be a work of art. The fretwork will be spectacular, the woods will be dry, it will stay in tune, and it’ll sound great. IMHO, there isn’t anything at that price point that touches it for quality. I’ve been playing over 50 years, and used to play other brands. Then I discovered PRS, and sold all my electrics that weren’t.

It makes me happy to read this.

I do have a question. Should I invest in a case or would the gigbag suffice? Our winter here has been the mildest winter I have ever experienced BUT our luck finally ran out a day or two ago and the windchills dropped to -41C below. My daughter's acoustic guitar is in a gigbag, my acoustic is in a hardshell case and I just use the sponges in both of them. The hygrometer now says 32% RH. Is there anything I need to keep the moisture up for protection? Would a hard case be more appropriate to keep things properly humidified? I used to use those Herco Guardfather humidifiers in my cases. Do people still use those things?

I do have a question. Should I invest in a case or would the gigbag suffice? Our winter here has been the mildest winter I have ever experienced BUT our luck finally ran out a day or two ago and the windchills dropped to -41C below. My daughter's acoustic guitar is in a gigbag, my acoustic is in a hardshell case and I just use the sponges in both of them. The hygrometer now says 32% RH. Is there anything I need to keep the moisture up for protection? Would a hard case be more appropriate to keep things properly humidified? I used to use those Herco Guardfather humidifiers in my cases. Do people still use those things?
Hey man it is a anecdote of frustration you've described and I had a different experience trying to get an S2 594 DC and it worked out well for me too.

Wait a bit on the case. The bag is premium and very nice. It will be tough to get a case I have found, S2 594 has some specs that make it not fit in regular PRS cases it seems. I've had a devil of a time finding one, and have paused the search.

Play it well, enjoy it much, its amazing!

Oh...and pictures please when you get it! We love pictures!

The D'Addario Humidipaks are what I use and highly recommend. You don't ever add water, they don't leak, and never smell. The chemicals in them keep the inside of the case at a constant 45% humidity, which is what the PRS factory is set to (I asked). I find that they last 4-6 months in nicer weather, and 3-4 months in winter, but of course a lot depends on the relative humidity in your home (I have a whole house humidifier that only keeps my house at about 30-35% RH in winter).

PRS' acoustics department recommends them, but someone here turned me on to them several years ago. They work. They're great. I use the set of three in my acoustic guitar case, and I put a single one in an open area like the headstock pocket in each of my electrics.

I don't know about the permeability of a nylon gig bag. It may or may not do the job a hard case does in terms of maintaining the humidity level inside the case. I do know that hard cases work well for that.

The refills are available from Boveda, who makes them, as well as from D'Addario. I get the Boveda stuff because I can order it in 10 or 12 packs (I forget which).

I love gig bags for traveling around, but a hard case does a couple of things a gig bag can't do. Besides offering great protection, a hard case buffers the temperature and humidity changes that take place over time - these changes occur naturally over a 24 hour period even in nice weather, and they're the biggest contributor to needing seasonal setups. The wooden cases are hygroscopic, and also absorb and release moisture, and Bob Taylor says there's some benefit there, too.

So I keep my guitars in hard cases when I'm not using them. If I'm headed out to other studios for projects, or flying with a guitar (a PRS needs to be with me on the plane), I'll use a gig bag.

I don't know about the permeability of a nylon gig bag. It may or may not do the job a hard case does in terms of maintaining the humidity level inside the case. I do know that hard cases work well for that.

This is what I am wondering. The guys I take my acoustic guitars to for neck adjutments and fret work, etc . (they make guitars) will know this stuff, I'll give them a call and ask them. The RH in the house today is 29%, the lowest it has been all winter. It is freakin cold here right now but this will probably only be our only real cold stretch for the entire winter.

I'll take a look at those D'Addario Humidipaks, LSchefman, and thank you for the recommendation!

That dealer was probably trying to be opportunistic. As it happens, the Canadian dollar has been doing well relative to the US dollar. I wouldn’t visit that dealer again.

I should clear things up to be fair. The second dealer I talked to was just looking online and did not have pre exisitng stock. He would have seen the exact same price I would have seen online. I phoned them the second after I had been notified from the original dealer that the deal fell through. My guess is if I would have placed an order, he would have called me back eventually to tell me that product had gone up in price (that wouldn't have mattered to me) which it had just a few hours after our call and that the color I wanted was no longer available (Burnt Amber Burst had been discontinued). That product and original price was still up on Canadian websites when I called him but just a few hours later that had all changed. I wonder if PRS had been in contact with their Canadain distributors that day to discuss whatever they would normally discuss (the price hike being one of them) and that probably/ maybe had to do with the original dealer calling me back to tell me they were no longer distributors for PRS.

I felt bad for the gentleman that worked at the original dealer location, he wasn't making a whole lot of sense on the phone, it was an awkward call. They are moving from their original location which was a beautiful store and my guess is that they have fallen on hard times due to Covid.

In regards to humidity, anyone who has a decent investment into guitars should go the route of whole house humidification. No only is it good for the guitars, but your skin and respiratory system will thank you. They can easily be integrated into a forced hot air heating system but they also make portable units that can do an entire house. I'll never go back to not having one. If you have a multi level wood home, it eliminates those annoying creaks that happen when everything dries out.

This is what I am wondering. The guys I take my acoustic guitars to for neck adjutments and fret work, etc . (they make guitars) will know this stuff, I'll give them a call and ask them. The RH in the house today is 29%, the lowest it has been all winter. It is freakin cold here right now but this will probably only be our only real cold stretch for the entire winter.

I'll take a look at those D'Addario Humidipaks, LSchefman, and thank you for the recommendation!

No worries!

I'm going to guess that nylon weaves are more open then wooden or plastic cases like the SKB style stuff. but I honestly don't know for sure.

Last edited:
Even if the Canadian Dollar took a sh!t, I can’t see justification for a 10% price hike on pre-existing stock.
I think that may be PRS tho. When they raise the MAP, the dealers have to raise their advertised prices.

In regards to humidity, anyone who has a decent investment into guitars should go the route of whole house humidification. No only is it good for the guitars, but your skin and respiratory system will thank you. They can easily be integrated into a forced hot air heating system but they also make portable units that can do an entire house. I'll never go back to not having one. If you have a multi level wood home, it eliminates those annoying creaks that happen when everything dries out.

But it can be very, very bad for a house. If a person lives in a cold climate, they have to really stay on top of things. Here in MN, we’ve been below zero all day. We’ll be in the single digits for highs for the next week. Condensation forms on windows very easily, often forming ice. When that melts... bad things. And that’s just what’s visible.

What can happen in walls and attics is scary.

Modern systems try to correct, based on dew points, but in my experience they just don’t get it right. I’ve had my humidifier off since Wednesday, and still had some ice on the windows today.

But it can be very, very bad for a house. If a person lives in a cold climate, they have to really stay on top of things. Here in MN, we’ve been below zero all day. We’ll be in the single digits for highs for the next week. Condensation forms on windows very easily, often forming ice. When that melts... bad things. And that’s just what’s visible.

I was thinking the same thing. My 29% is actually probably high for the -40C (which is also -40F) outdoor temperture/ windchill.

https://www.startribune.com/fixit-what-is-the-ideal-winter-indoor-humidity-level/11468916/

Modern systems try to correct, based on dew points, but in my experience they just don’t get it right. I’ve had my humidifier off since Wednesday, and still had some ice on the windows today.

I've had that happen here in Michigan. It can be a real mess.

Back