dirt biking

gush

Where is that speedo pic
Spent my sunday dirt biking with my 11 year old son and my brother. It was an absolute blast. I know I will be a little stiff tomorrow but it's worth it!

I have an 03 KTM exc 250, my brother has a 97 KTM exc 200 and my son rides a suzuki RM80. We own a honda xr80 for my wife to ride but she was sick today so she stayed home.

Anybody else here into dirt riding?

I've always wanted to ride a Ducati. The Cycle World issue with the 916 on the cover is sn image I will always remember.

Used to be WAY into dirt biking. Practically grew up on them. Owned RMs, CRs, KXs, KDXs. Sold my last bike in the late 80's though and moved on to other things - like college and family. A couple of years ago, though, a friend (sponsored rider) took me out to the local track and put me on a 2013 KX250. Wow! Have the bikes ever gotten good!! Had a smile ear to ear as I tried to play motocross star and got my doors blown off by 12yr olds riding 60cc bikes. There WAS a time when I could have smoked them though! Dirt biking is good fun and, unlike street bikes, you don't have to watch out for the idiot driving a Pinto that ran a stop sign and didn't see you.

I grew up riding an Honda Enduro on the deserts of the Southwest. Loved it. It doesn't look like much now, but to a 14 year old kid out in the middle of no where in 1976, it was freedom!
xl175.jpg

My last bike was a Husqvarna but that was 20 years ago. I've settled down now and just play guitar.

I grew up riding an Honda Enduro on the deserts of the Southwest. Loved it. It doesn't look like much now, but to a 14 year old kid out in the middle of no where in 1976, it was freedom!
xl175.jpg

My last bike was a Husqvarna but that was 20 years ago. I've settled down now and just play guitar.

Freedom! !!!! I know that feeling! I had dirt bikes growing up. I cut my teeth on a Bridgestone 100 it was a POS. It had a 4 speed gearbox, all down, 5 down was neutral and 6 down put you back in first. Not a good design if you didn't pay attention. I moved on to CRs, can ams and a maico.

My junior year of high school I got a honda 1978 XL350. That was my transportation and that was total freedom. I could timber ride or go to town. It was great.

The farmer I worked for back in high school had acres of timber and that provided so much fun. There was about a dozen of us that would trail ride together on Sundays.

I miss those days and wish my son could experience that feeling.

Went on a quad with my grandson today,scared the c**p out of me.

Totally!!!! I got "impaired" and went "quading" at a family picnic in Indiana a few summers ago: scariest sh!t I've ever done. 40 mph felt like I was breaking the sound barrier! I'm a wuss.

I don't have much experience with quads. My son wants one but I just can't do it. IMO crashing on a quad brings some extra dangers that im not willing to risk. That's just my opinion.

Gush if you care for your son which Iam sure you do ,no quad.My nephew is a paraplegic only 16 years old.

Gush if you care for your son which Iam sure you do ,no quad.My nephew is a paraplegic only 16 years old.

I am sorry to hear about your nephew but this is exactly what I'm talking about. Quads roll wildly during a crash and take rider with it.

I understand the same thing can happen on a dirt bike but the risk is a lot less. I know of two people in my area that are in the same boat as your nephew and we had a farmer get pinned under his 4 wheeler and died because he couldn't breath.

I hope this doesn't offend anybody and I am not trying to start a debate. I am trying to let him live a little and reduce the risks involved.

xl175.jpg

Had an Enduro 250 as well.
My last bike was a 82 Suzuki PE 175. Killer machine. Like AP I left it 20 years ago. Very fond memories...

Suzuki_PE175_1982.jpg

40 is plenty fast and plenty dangerous on a quad.

I don't have much experience with quads. My son wants one but I just can't do it. IMO crashing on a quad brings some extra dangers that im not willing to risk. That's just my opinion.

So sorry to hear that Bluesboy.... Yeah, I'm never sitting on one of those things again. I'm not even riding a scooter again either.

Always wanted a dirt bike when I was a kid...a couple neighborhood kids had them but I got a form "NO" every time I asked for one. As an adult I understand why...my ex-brother-in-law is permanently brain damaged from an accident. Now when my son has asked for one, the answer has been simple..."if you can convince your mother..."

Back