Different Custom 24 30th ???

phil1234567

Hi,

I am a complete prs noob, and I wanted to know why the same label applies for radicaly different guitars

here is the one I can afford and buy at my local store : http://www.keymusic.com/be/item/paul-reed-smith-se-30th-anniversary-custom-24-amethyst/#outlet

here it sounds like "meh" and has a flat body:

here it sounds way better and has different features, like a different trem and bumps at the base of the potentiometers :

why the hell does it have the same label ? (custom 24 30th aniversary)

thanks

The reason is because the two guitars use different assembly specs. One is called an SE and the other is a "core" guitar. They have the same name because they both are exactly what they say they are (30th anni models), but come from different assembly locations. Think Gibson and Epiphone, only better. One is a very good student level guitar and the other is a professional level guitar.

after digging a bit it appears the sound is quiet the same but the mics can be splitted on a core prs while the SE has only 3 positions

also the fretwires are said to last longer on a core serie

btw why are they called custom ? since they are regular models everyone can buy

Last edited:
That "cheap" sound was probably due to amp settings more than the guitar. SE's have very good pickups in them. They can sound HUGE. The core guitar is a step up, but not necessarily just in tone. It is the total package. If you have a student level budget, the best student level guitar you can buy is the SE. All you have to do is decide on a model. If you can afford the core model, go for it. You will be happy with the results.

They are called "Custom" because of the history of the brand. When PRSh first started the company there were two models. The PRS (standard) and the Custom. The Custom added the maple top. The name now has it's own life. Standard's are not the "standard", Custom's are. Kind of funny to think about it.

Some SE models can also be split. The PRS website will tell you which models split.

Back