Designing the Golden Eagle 1977

jeff adams

Back in 1977 when I was touring with Face Dancer (Capital/EMI) and "Sandy", my '59 curly top LP, I reached out to my friend Paul Smith to build me a guitar. At that time Paul was the guitar tech in a local music store (Veneman's Music, Gaithersburg, Md). I had known Paul since the early 70's, and had noticed and liked a guitar he was playing that he had built, so we agreed on a deal. I liked the body style he had, but I wanted to mirror Sandy, my '59 burst, so we went to work on a new design. My ideas included the 2 piece curly maple top, original PAF humbuckers, the smaller streamline headstock, the tremolo bar, the Kluson tuners, as well as the original Gibson yellow stain. I also wanted the volume knob and pick-up selector up close. Paul asked me if I would like his idea of birds as fret markers, I agreed. I also asked if we could get 'aged' wood, Paul performed a miracle, he came up with curly maple drawer fronts from a 100 year old dresser, and mahogany from a 70 yr old dresser. Finally in '78, with the build complete, Paul said he'd like to spray it with an imron clear coat, not knowing any better at the time, I agreed. And what a mistake that turned be, in my opinion, the guitar sounded extremely punchy, glassy, and brittle, with no warmth whatsoever. Over the next year Paul would tell me if I wanted to give it back to him he would give me what I had payed, $1,500. Eventually I said ok and gave it back, the rest is history, the age of the "Golden Eagle" was born. Paul turned the guitar over to Howard Leese, who I believe still has it (?). For me the memory of having Sandy and the Eagle on stage at the same time is a mind blower.

Wow, what an amazing piece of history! Thanks a bunch for sharing that gem!! To post pix, you need to use a third party storage (flickr, imgr, etc.). You also need to have a certain number of posts before you can post pix, but you are only 2 away (you have 3 posts, you need 5 - I think - before you can post a pic). Replies to this or any other thread count as posts.

Several members long before I have posted tutorials (including but not limited to @sergiodeblanc , @CandidPicker , Hans and some since ( @james - an admin) , etc. Links to all of those along with my tutorials can be found at https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/sharing-pictures-on-prs-forum.47818/ . If after reviewing these materials you still have troubles, feel free to PM me for assistance on posting photos. Even if you do not have a 3rd party account to post these pix, I would be happy to post said pix via my account(s) as this is important and valuable material that should be included here IMO!!!

Last edited:
Hi Jeff, awesome backstory on the HW guitar!

Here's a question for you. My best friend's band was based near D.C. around 1980 or so. I've heard him mention Face Dancer in the past. Do you recognize these drums?
n4UQTp2.jpg

Back