Decorum for when you spot a fake on Reverb?

shinksma

What? I get a title?
I happened to be trolling Reverb for even more guitars I can't afford, and spotted an SE Allender that is clearly fake.

I wonder whether the seller knows it, or thinks they have the real deal? Should I let the seller know it appears to be fake, and they should remove the listing? Or do sellers get all angsty and then complain to the Reverb cops that you are harassing them?

If I see an instrument I know is a fake, I report it to Reverb, Ebay, or whichever site is hosting. It's generally a trademark infringement, which is against site rules for all sites I buy or sell on.

I did contact a seller directly once recently. He was a dealer, selling a PRS SE guitar for $120,000. He laughed and acknowledged that those decimal marks are important :)

It appears to be a dealer of some type, based on other stuff in the background, so I sent a message. :shrug:

A U.S. dealer?
Not an authorized PRS dealer, I don't think, just a small shop dealing in some new equipment and probably occasional used trade ins. But in the US.

They responded and said they would look into it. :shrug:

If it was a shop, even a pawn shop, I would message them. Private seller, depends. If they have a bunch of positive ratings, I may message them. Otherwise, I’d let Reverb know.

If I see an instrument I know is a fake, I report it to Reverb, Ebay, or whichever site is hosting. It's generally a trademark infringement, which is against site rules for all sites I buy or sell on.

I did contact a seller directly once recently. He was a dealer, selling a PRS SE guitar for $120,000. He laughed and acknowledged that those decimal marks are important :)

Yeah, everyone knows the SE is the “Special Edition” and those only go for $12,000. Good catch!

Not even a good fake! Spotted a mile away!
How does one report a listing on Reverb?
On each listing page, in the lower right, there is a chat box you can use. There is also an 800 number you can call directly. I went ahead and let them know on this one. It's pretty obviously one of those from that hack site above.

Last edited:
apparently the guy has been told about it and is contacting PRS to verify. Which we all know won't happen right away, now that they're closed down.

Decimals definitely are important.

https://reverb.com/item/20030295-pr...with-rosewood-board-new-hsc-yellow-clear-2012

Back