Dead Spots

CantankerousCarl

Occasionally Onery Member
My 92 CST 24 seems to have a dead spot around 11-12 on the G...from what I have read (dangerous) this is more common on thin necks like this.

The action is a little low (I do have some buzz) but I don't think it's fret-related.

What's the best way to determine if this is indeed a real dead spot. I have read alot of things, adding relief, weights, etc.

I saw a forum that referenced an excellent thread on BAM, which is of course unavailable.

A little more info - the dead spot does indeed seem to move up and down the G string as I tune up and down. The note sustains noticeably less (after a count of 3-5) and is harder to hold. This effect is more noticeable in the neck bucker with the tone dialed way back. Sometimes it seems worse than others, and sometimes when noodling around I forget about it.

It's most noticeable when overdriven; acoustically and clean it's not super intrusive.

I find it hard to believe that noone has experienced this...is it unloading time, or has anyone else counteracted this?

Hey bud... Had the same issue with another guitar from another manufacturer.

You say the dead spot moves as you tune up and down. This to me is a a very good clue that you indeed do have a dead spot and not another issue such as high and low frets. Never-the-less it is worth ruling out other things which may be causing the issue for piece of mind. Including:

Lowering the pickups
Changing the string for a new one
Check the saddle on that string
Tighten everything down and make sure nothing is vibrating in sympathy
Raise the action to a point you can be 100% sure that the string is not touching any frets above
How is the truss rod?

I did a video on dead spots. It's set to private but you should be able to view it via this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJlNV3VF2SY

Last edited:
Well for a guitar that's 22 year olds, I think (if you live in the US) it would be well worth your time to send it to PTC for a proper set up and some TLC. It'll come back like a brand new guitar - actually BETTER than new, in my opinion.

Hey bud... Had the same issue with another guitar from another manufacturer.

You say the dead spot moves as you tune up and down. This to me is a a very good clue that you indeed do have a dead spot and not another issue such as high and low frets. Never-the-less it is worth ruling out other things which may be causing the issue for piece of mind. Including:

Lowering the pickups
Changing the string for a new one
Check the saddle on that string
Tighten everything down and make sure nothing is vibrating in sympathy
Raise the action to a point you can be 100% sure that the string is not touching any frets above
How is the truss rod?

I did a video on dead spots. It's set to private but you should be able to view it via this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJlNV3VF2SY

Mike - that was AWESOME more information than I have seen to-date, much appreciated. I tried a few of the things you mentioned, but not all of them, so will start running down the list.

Time is a tickin' because I have until July 4th to return this (bought used from GC, 30-day used return policy) and that's one month from when it showed up. I wish I would have noticed this sooner - and if this is a true dead spot, that may indeed tip the scales.

Not sure if the PTC could really do anything if it's a true dead spot...I will update you

Well, after Mike, and Mike, and Pro's suggestions, I am happy to report that I am considering taking up a different instrument - say a recorder, or doumbek...

#1) 92CST 24 which started this thread, definitely dead spot - replaced string, damped springs, tried 3 springs, then 5, raised action to ridiculous height, switched amps, lit candles, chanted. Didn't lower pickups. Pronounced accelerated fade on 11, to a lesser degree on 12, fade is also noticeable when bending up into the note from same string. Hardly noticeable on strings 6-4; on 1 & 2 it manifests by an accelerated overtaking of higher harmonics as the main note fades, again quite noticeable on neck pup with tone @ 0. I THINK SHE'S GOING BACK UNLESS ANYONE HAS ANY FURTHER SUGGESTIONS. :( It's like breaking up with a supermodel, I guess (but I lack that life experience).

#2) Insult on top of that injury, discovered that my 08Mira MT has an even WORSE one @ 12, never noticed that one until now either. That one was sold as NOS; now I guess I know why it sat around for so long. Wonder if my warranty would cover that...

Mikegarveyblues - the dead spots on both of the above are appreciably worse than the Schecter on your video. Again, thanks for that, it was a great lesson.

Perhaps my re-entry into guitardom, relative inexperience, and the associated 6+ month GAS has made me careless. I've spent a ****-ton of money lately on this stuff as I've started playing again. I don't have the budget as many out here seem to to afford private stocks and signatures...so this kinda stuff hits hard.

Gonna go grab my dead-spot-less Korean Santana SEs and play me some therapy on the neck pickup...

My suggestion would be to play it safe and return the guitar. Even if it's the most beautiful guitar you've ever seen, it's still a musical instrument, and its job is to make music. If there's an issue from Day One, why bother with it?

I will point out that most wood guitars do have areas of note cancellation to a greater or lesser degree due to a variety of factors. But some are more problematic than others.

Last edited:
Thanks...I have a feeling I won't "fret" for too long.

Maybe it'll be NGD in a week or so... :)

Back