Dave Knudson from Minus The Bear gives us a Rig Rundown from Premier Guitar Magazine

Shawn@PRS

yogi
Dave dicusses his unique style of sampling, looping and playing and also talks about his Custom 24 and McCarty Goldtop.

Dave's segment starts at the 9:54 mark.

[video]http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/20130327/2244/Rig_Rundown_Minus_the_Bears_Dave_Knudson_Jake_Snid er_and_Cory_Murchy.aspx[/video]

That's not guitar playing that's programming/playing a pedal board. :( nice guitar though.

I really like Minus The Bear, an old girlfriend took me to see them maybe six years ago? and they really impressed me.

That's not guitar playing that's programming/playing a pedal board.

I felt this way too for the first two songs of their set, add the fact that he was doing a lot of tapping and I was ready to dismiss them as goons.... but they are not at all! I am no stranger when it comes to using backing tracks in a live setting and I think that the way they do it is super creative, and adds a totally different dimension to their guitar parts.

I am a fan.

I think their use of technology may be unorthodox, but it is very creative.

I really have to give them props.

I have seen and toured with a bunch of bands that use loopers, and they way they do it is still very much "live" music. They could totally run all of the samples from a computer (which they do have on stage BTW) or they could just be another act that just layers endless parts on top of each other, but they don't.

Lets not forget that there was a time the The Edge's use of delay was considered "cheating" and that he was not considered a great guitar player.

Lets not forget that there was a time the The Edge's use of delay was considered "cheating" and that he was not considered a great guitar player.
I still wonder about that guy. Check out this deleted scene from 'It Might Get Loud.' When he asks "what strings do you use?" Jack White gives this WTF look and then realizes Edge is serious. I chortled.

I admit though, even if playing the parts drowned in delay isn't technically advanced, simply having the creativity to conceptualize and bring those sounds to life is still impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
mtbear_prs2-530-85.jpg

Dave has such great taste in gear!

Just so there are some MTB songs in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I like is that they're doing interesting things with textures and electronica, but more than that, they're also writing good songs that are well performed.

I've never heard about them before, but man, this is more then cool. maybe what they create is not what kind of music I like, but definitely is very creative out of the box kind of thing.

Dave dicusses his unique style of sampling, looping and playing and also talks about his Custom 24 and McCarty Goldtop.

Dave's segment starts at the 9:54 mark.

[video]http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/20130327/2244/Rig_Rundown_Minus_the_Bears_Dave_Knudson_Jake_Snid er_and_Cory_Murchy.aspx[/video]

Shawn - his comments starting at about 24:05 would lead one to believe he really needs to try a P22 - He needs a Piezo!

Maybe you know somebody that could arrange that? ;)

Last edited:
Back