Custom shop?

GreenCustom24

Hey guys. New here. First post.

So I've been looking all over online and on the PRS site and I honestly can't find any straight info on this. I may just be missing something, but hopefully you guys can shed some light here. PRS obviously has a private stock/custom shop division. I was curious if they simply make full on custom guitars or if I wanted a set of custom pickups, would they just do that for me? How would I even get in touch with them? The site says to go to my closest PRS dealer, but the closest one is HOURS away... Sucks.

I'm very, VERY interested in a set (or at least a bridge pickup) of P90 or even 408n size (Those look like they might fit in a P90 route without modification, but of course we can't buy them by themselves...) of Tremonti Treble and Bass pickups. I wanna put them into a guitar that currently has P90s. I adore the guitar, but the P90s aren't my thing and the selection of P90 sized humbuckers is somewhat limited. If I have to go DiMarzio or something, I guess I will. But I want to exhaust my options first.

I'm sure this may cost me a freaking fortune... but I just wanna know if I could and if anyone would even be able to offer up an idea as to how much they'd run me?

If they'd just sell the 408n's I'd be fine... Ha

Thanks guys.

You've got Private Stock (PS) and the PRS Tech Centre (PTC). PS is all about complete custom builds, usually someone will go to a dealer and they will work through he specs with the PS team, and then the guitar gets built. Dealers will also spec out a PS on umm spec too, these are the guitars you'll see in stock as a dealer.

The PTC does work to existing PRS guitars, whey be SE, PS or anything in between. They can do a LOT of stuff e.g. refinishes, 408s into a regular humbuckers guitar, Floyd rose conversions, 12 to 7-string conversion (no, really). The one thing either the PS or PTC team don't (usually) do is custom pickups, you either have to choose from something that already exists (and even then they may not do it e.g. 53/10s at the PTC) or supply your own.

Best thing to do is send them an email with your ideas and see if they'll do it for you.

Hope this helps!

An important note, the PTC area of PRS Guitars does not do work on other guitar brands.

If all you are after is PRS brand pickups, try HERE or eBay, Craigslist or other used sources.

Last edited:
Okay. Thanks guys. Just sucks that don't sell the 408 pickups by themselves. Ugh. I guess I'll have to go with the Duncan custom shop or something to get the sound I want.

Side note, in hopefully just a couple weeks or so from upgrading from an SE Singlecut to an S2! Really stoked.

If you want them in your SE or S2 the PTC will do it for you...or I guess you could have them put in there and then move them to another guitar yourself if you wanted to.

If you want to keep it as cheap as possible though, checking for something used would probably be the best place to start.

What he's looking for is a custom-made pickup. That's not something PRS does.

I put Dimarzio Virtual P90`s in an SE Singlecut. They`re not really P90`s. They sound like vintage humbuckers to both my ears, and those of the guys at Philtone Music in Baltimore, former PRS employees. Not an S2 sound, but that was not my intent. Check them out. They scream, and clean up beautifully. Of course, the vol/tone post & 3 way were upgraded. It`s a keeper guitar now.

I'm looking for new pickups for my 60's Tribute SG. I love the guitar but as I said before, the P90s don't work for me. No thump in them. Definitely not good for hard rock.

I probably never would have bought it myself given the pickups, but my fiance got it for me as a gift. I love the way it plays though.

Back