custom 50 advice

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by gush, May 22, 2016.

1. gush

gush New Member

I bought a custom 50 head a while back. I seem to take a long time to get an amp 100% dialed in so I was just rolling with it.

I liked the amp when I first got it while I had it at home but the first time I gigged with it it seemed a little weak. I just thought I needed more time with it.

I think I may have a main tube issue but I'm curious what others think.

Last night I started out with CE24 5708s and it seemed ok but as the night went on I kept getting muddy and I kept having to tweak EQ. By the end of the night my highs were set at 3:00 with mids and lows set at 2:00-3:00. My gain was set at 12:00 but I lowered that by the end of the show.

I played a 1994 5150 head for years but was ready for something different and I liked the youtube vids that I watched so I bought one.

I have a feeling I need power tubes as the amp was used so hard to say what condition tubes are in.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

2. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

Could be. I recently lost a tube in the SE version of that amp. The clean channel started sounding like the dirty channel. Then I started getting the popping and spitting that signaled the end of a tube. I have ordered a matched pair of power tubes but while they are coming, I swapped out the preamp tubes to check and all of them are good. So for mine it's the power tubes. Usually it's a power tube.

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

You could try a new set of known good tubes in it and see what that does.

4. gush

gush New Member

Not sure what I was thinking when describing amp settings. What I meant to say was mids and lows were set between 8:00-9:00 to kill muddy tone. So that should paint an ugly picture on my stage sound.