Custom 24 3-way wiring

DaniOk

Hello guys!

I own a CU24, 2002 model, which I'm trying to restore, and I definitely need some help from experienced PRS enthusiasts :)

I've noticed that at some switch positions, the sound is quite thin and noisy. Upon opening the control cavity, I was shocked by what someone did, and now I'm faced with the task of restoration 😅

The guitar is equipped with standard HFS VB pickups, as well as retrofitted CTS DPDT push-pull and 3-way switches.

I've noticed that there are two wiring diagrams on the PRS website:
the simple one (McCarty, CE), where the HOT wires go to the 3-way and splits go to push-pull.

And the Custom 3-way scheme, which is slightly unclear to me. Could someone tell me the difference and pro and cons fir each, and maybe some already compared the two schemes sound-wise?

It seems that the difference lies in the fact that in the Custom 24 scheme, different coils are used in the split position, but it's unclear how this affects the sound. Also, I think that it would be hard to achieve partial splitting using resistors in this scheme.

The difference in the two is that the newer one uses the resistors on the push pull pot to keep more of the tapped coil in the circuit to make it sound a little louder than just tapping the whole coil. The newer one also uses a different value of capacitor for the tone control. That will change the frequency where the treble starts to be sent to ground. That will make a little difference in how much treble you hear being reduced as you turn the tone control down.

I personally like the circuit with the resistors in it. I have added them to a couple of my older guitars that were made before they started doing this. I think it is a pretty big improvement. The tone cap is kind of a personal preference. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. Your guitar should have had the .022 uf cap in it stock. I like those.

Back