Covered pickups

Luis

Hi Guys, I`ve noticed that the plate cover in my 58/15`s pickups stain really bad with even the lightest playing. I really have no problem with that, the problem is when I tried to clean them it was impossible to do with a simple cloth like I do with my Les Paul. Also the covers in the LP pickups does not stain as quickly and as bad as the ones in my PRS. Eventually I bought blue magic and managed to clean them. Is pretty annoying cleaning the pups with blue magic every time I use the guitar. Anyone experience this? Any suggestions?

Hi Guys, I`ve noticed that the plate cover in my 58/15`s pickups stain really bad with even the lightest playing. I really have no problem with that, the problem is when I tried to clean them it was impossible to do with a simple cloth like I do with my Les Paul. Also the covers in the LP pickups does not stain as quickly and as bad as the ones in my PRS. Eventually I bought blue magic and managed to clean them. Is pretty annoying cleaning the pups with blue magic every time I use the guitar. Anyone experience this? Any suggestions?
My covered 59/09s get pretty dirty from just normal use. I just rock it. Gives them a more vintage look.

My covered 59/09s get pretty dirty from just normal use. I just rock it. Gives them a more vintage look.
Jaja yes but my custom 22 violet 10 top is so beautiful that I don`t like the way it look with those stains. My charvel SoCal is dirty as hell but I like it that way it looks great with some sort of character, but man the PRS is such a fine instrument I want it to be clean as new.

I saw in the PRS page that they use blue magic so is safe, didn`t knew that until now so I was a bit afraid to ruin the plating in the pup`s and the tremolo.

The covers on my 58/15 LT pups look like they might just be polished nickel silver with no plating. If that's the case, they'll tarnish very easily. That's been the story with my Suhr Thornbuckers (brushed, unplated covers). It would be reasonable to use the Blue Magic with each string change.

It will help to make sure your hands are clean before playing and wipe the pickups off with a polishing cloth when finished.

Nickel will also tarnish, just more slowly. Either way, both will develop an irreversible patina over time. It's part of the story of the guitar and shows that you play it.

Chrome won't really tarnish, but consensus is it doesn't sound as good.

The covers on my 58/15 LT pups look like they might just be polished nickel silver with no plating. If that's the case, they'll tarnish very easily. That's been the story with my Suhr Thornbuckers (brushed, unplated covers). It would be reasonable to use the Blue Magic with each string change.

It will help to make sure your hands are clean before playing and wipe the pickups off with a polishing cloth when finished.

Nickel will also tarnish, just more slowly. Either way, both will develop an irreversible patina over time. It's part of the story of the guitar and shows that you play it.

Chrome won't really tarnish, but consensus is it doesn't sound as good.

I'd ditto this. I seem to remember reading something on the Forum about the material PRS uses on the covers being a benefit to tone, but the downside was the quick "tarnishing". That's a trade off I'll take any day of the week.

Back