Core Custom 24 Pickup Input, Please

Chris46545

Hi. I'm new here... Years ago I had a 1997 Custom 24 with stock HFS and Vintage Bass pickups. I loved the various sounds possible. Sadly I traded that guitar for a Core Mira, which I love, but I've wanted another Custom 24. Long story short I recently found a nice one that I could afford, but it has had the pickups swapped out. I believe the pickups (according to the boxes) are Dragon II's. I'm not a fan of them, so I'm mulling over my options.

I should also say that I also have a 2012 Stripped 58 with the 57/08 pickups, and I just LOVE the sound of those. The 58 is setup basically like a Les Paul - 3 way switch, 2 volumes, 2 tones, no coil tap. Thus, I'm unsure of how the coil tapped tone will be.

My options as I see them are:
1. Try to adjust the Dragon II pickups. I'm underwhelmed with their tones so far.
2. Put the original HFS and VB back in. Assuming they are like the ones I had in my '97, they are useful and versatile. The 57/08 pickups sound better, at least in humbucking mode in my humble opinion. I don't know what 57/08s sound like coil tapped from personal experience.
3. Buy a set of 57/08s and install those. $$$ (yikes)
4. Buy a different set and install those. I'm open to suggestions from experience that others have had.

Realizing that there are variables with wood, tone, etc., I'm interested in everyone's experience with pickups and upgrades. My personal feeling is that PRS really got things right with the 57/08 pickup. I have a 59/09 in my Mira (bridge position) and it's very nice, but I think the 57/08 is more pleasing to my ears. I've also been impressed with the single coils in the Silver Sky.

Perhaps PRS's pickup development caught up with their guitar building quality? I'm not sure, so Thank You in advance for your consideration and any opinions that you can share.

57/08s are great pickups and always a win! I absolutely love them in my 58. I have 59/09 in my CU24 and wouldn't change them for anything. Well, maybe a 57/08 in the neck and keep the 59/09 in the bridge

Though, I would personally try adjusting your heights on the Dragon II before swapping anything. If you love the HFS/VB combo I would explore that too. I like having different pickups in different guitars for even more variety.

Last edited:
Big fan of 57/08s here. Don't get me wrong, I have, and like the more recent pickups along with a guitar with the 57/08s. But my guitar with the 57/08s is pretty freaking awesome
Perhaps PRS's pickup development caught up with their guitar building quality? I'm not sure, so Thank You in advance for your consideration and any opinions that you can share.

I think PRS started producing among the best pickups out there with the Artist V and the 5x/0x series of pickups. They set the bar pretty high.

I've had a bunch of PRS' with the Dragon versions, the Artist II and other earlier pickups, and always wanted to swap them out. Not so with the later pickups. Caveat regarding my advice: I like vintage tones and don't play metal unless paid extremely well to do so. ;)

Back