Compare and contrast 408 vs Paul's Guitar

Solteroblues

I'm really thinking of getting one or the other, as I've owned both CU22's and CU24's and a Studio... I know what the spec differences are, but what else should I be looking at to really make a decision? I won't be able to try either out before I buy probably... Paul's uses the neck 408 pup for both positions, does the 408's wider bridge pickup not really make a difference? Can either of the 408 style pups be swapped for standard pups? Also, I really like hardtails, which I apparently can order on the Paul's, but not on the 408?

You should be able to get a hardtail on the 408, wish I had got it.
At least is was an option when I bought mine back in 2013.
But I went with the tremolo.
Next guitar shall be a hardtail.

http://www.prsguitars.com/408/
Looks like the option is now gone, but I would send an email to Matt King at customer service and ask for sure.

Hi Soltero - I think the wider bridge pickup is indeed your main consideration here. I own a few of each, and there is an audible difference. To my ears, the wider bridge 408s work best with heavier styles - there is a thickness to the bridge pickup that seems to sit better with high gain. The thinner 408 in the bridge has a little more focus and cut, and split is sounds a little more "traditionally single coil" if that makes sense.

Hope that helps. Can't really go wrong with either!

The 408 with stoptail is definitely gone (if ordering a build now). I tried to get one built in January with a rosewood neck. I ended up ordering a CU22.
If you could order a 408 with a stoptail now, I'd be quite annoyed since I am still waiting on my CU22.

I'll keep on eye on this thread to see if I should suck it up and get another with a trem though :D.

Last edited:
thanks! So XiXora, you're still waiting on a build from January? Do you have to pay in full up front?

I didn't pay in full up front. I heard there has been a rosewood issue at the factory. As long as I get a nice slab, I'm OK with that… maybe I'll order a maple neck next time.

Wondering what 2016 brings now. I'm wishing for stoptail option returning to the 408 or a pattern thin Pauls Guitar. Will end up paying for a PS at this rate as I doubt I'll get my wish ;)

I played them back-to-back, and the 408 Bridge pickup is definitely hotter in the bridge position than the 408 Neck pickup, and a bit warmer EQ-wise. The Neck pickup seemed more defined and clearer, and definitely not as much output.

I'll keep on eye on this thread to see if I should suck it up and get another with a trem though :D.

Why? You think someone on here is going to tell you not to get one??? :rofl:

I'm just holding out on the stoptail tbh. I swore at myself for 2 weeks for waiting to see what 2015 held. I'm a little stubborn.

Is the Pauls bridge pup the same as the neck pup or tuned or is it differently?

re: factory w/ rosewood, I was told procurement issues.

Is the Pauls bridge pup the same as the neck pup or tuned or is it differently?

When the Paul's Guitar first came out, I saw something that said the bridge pickup was wound the same as the 408 bridge pickup but the same size as the 408 neck pickup. Or maybe I saw that about the Brent Mason model which uses the same humbucker pickups as the Paul's Guitar.

Also consider with 408 you should be able to choose neck profile, while Paul's has always the Pattern one.

When the Paul's Guitar first came out, I saw something that said the bridge pickup was wound the same as the 408 bridge pickup but the same size as the 408 neck pickup. Or maybe I saw that about the Brent Mason model which uses the same humbucker pickups as the Paul's Guitar.

The big thing I remember about the Paul's bridge is Hans saying he thought it was more focused than the 408 bridge. I've never played a Paul's, so I can't comment on that. I can say that the 408 has handled everything I've thrown at it. Very versatile.

ok, next question, do the 408's in the Paul's guitar sound ANYTHING like the 57/08's? Or are they a completely different animal? I sold my P22 with the 57/08's (uncovered) and I LOVED them, my studio with the 57/08 bridge (covered) sounds more harsh and brighter...

I think that's really going to depend on the 57/08s you compare to. The 57/08s seem to vary pretty widely. I have some very early 57/08s (from the initial 1957/2008 run), and they're nowhere near the 408s. The 408s are hotter and a bit more modern-sounding. The 57/08s are very vintage-y.

That said, I've heard some others who've had 57/08s that are definitely hotter than what I have, although I can't say whether they sounded more like the 408s.

Back