Best & Worst Cover Songs

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
I was reading jfb's "Guilty Pleasure" thread and started thinking about George Michael's remake of Stevie Wonder's 1974 classic (co-written by Yvonne Lowrene Wright) entitled They Won' Go When I Go. Stevie's version was good but George owns that song. By comparison, Stevie is mumbling through it with half the emotion. Follow it with George's Mother's Pride if you feel the vibe.

I started thinking about cover songs that were better than the original. That, inevitably, made me think of remakes that were just an insult to the original performance and the person who wrote it (if not the same person). But things that I like or dislike might be the exact opposite for you.

So let's hear it. What are your favorite (and least favorite) covers? Post audio/video clips if you have them.

This is one of my favorite covers... It really makes a statement at the end of his life.

Here's one of the worst covers I've ever heard in my life... this is awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one of the worst covers I've ever heard in my life... this is awesome.

That was painful to watch, didn't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for them.
It's bad when you're doing your own vocal echos.
And that little solo, poor guy. :dontknow:

For a really god comparison - it needs to be the same song. How about Voodo Child:

Best - that's easy - Stevie Ray Vaughan

(one of) the worst:

(another one of ) the worst:

Srv arguably plays it better than Hendrix - the other two - well, I'm speechless....

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;36008 said:
Man... there are some BAD ones in here. How about covers that beat the original?

I'm sure plenty of people will want to tell me I'm wrong, but I believe it to be true for this one:

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;36008 said:
Man... there are some BAD ones in here. How about covers that beat the original?

I love Babatunde Olatunji's original. He continues to inspire hand drummers to this day.
Santana took it, kept the original vibe and added his own spice to it. He always represents properly.

(another one of ) the worst:

Srv arguably plays it better than Hendrix - the other two - well, I'm speechless....

You may not dig his interpretation, but have you ever tried playing the flute? This guy's an athlete! Once upon a time when I was playing sax in a jazz band, I tried playing flute for one chart -- it nearly killed me! So try sprinting flat out for 4:04 and then tell me this guy sucks... :)

As for the Terez Montcalm version? Barf... All wrong!

Believe.

Back