Best nut for my 2000 Custom 22, please!

digeratti

I'm in the process of restoring my 2000 Custom 22 to it's original designed state.

Unfortunately, the previous owner cut the nut slots to handle heavier gauge strings than the original 9 set so I need to replace the nut.

I had a black Tusq XL for a different model that I tried filing down to fit (still at 3/64ths above the first fret). it sounded really good ... until I went to far (missing my 1/64th" target) and got string buzz.

If anybody knows which Black TUSQ XL model number fits the 22 closer and has the correct string angle, I'd greatly appreciate it. They don't list PRS on their web page?

Alternatively, I'd like to hear about your experiences with other materials.

I've made a buffalo shin bone nut that is correct to the 1/64" first fret string height but I liked the sound I got from Tusq better than from it or the original PRS (I think?) nut?

Dropping each of them onto the floor is interesting. The PRS nut thuds as does the buffalo bone nut but the Tusq is much more glass-like sounding?

Including buying a PRS made nut if I could find one or if anyone knows where they are sold?

Thanks in advance!

I replaced nuts on two guitars using stock PRS nuts. I thought the prs nuts had kind of a glass like sound when I tossed the old ones on top of my desk. Maybe the ones you think are PRS simply arent.

I was thinking that might be the case. The one that was on the guitar looks right and was adjusted to the PRS spec. but when I drop it it kind of thuds? Especially compared to the glassy tinkle of the Tusq nut? I am going to order the PRS nuts (comes only in two pack) and I'll keep you posted.

BTW The "P" arrived for the headstock and the hardest part was to clean off the smutz of glue that the GC tech had used to try to re-attach the original? The new one is a stick on with it's on glue and once I'd gotten the glue off using 2,000 grit wet sand paper strips (took a couple of hours of patient sanding, strip by strip), the new logo P went on and looks great! They were also gracious enough to send me two keys for my case so, this restoration is almost completed!

Before I destroyed the Tusq nut (not really that bad ... I'm just going to move it down to my lesser guitar which has a smaller nut), it sounded fantastic! Kind of rang like a music box if you know what I mean? Lots of sustain and using my clean amp setting it sounded much better than ever! I can't wait to get this last piece sorted! Meanwhile my impromptu buffalo bone nut is working ok ... nowhere as good as the Tusq but better than what was on there. Before I do the final glue down, I may do some sample recordings with each of them, for posterity?

Thanks for the input!

Cheers!

Back