Are You The Master Of Your Own (Tone) Domain?

The compliments I've received throughout the years were few and far between, within the context discussed here (meaning, from qualified ears...guitarists, other musicians or an enthusiast that cares and knows the difference). But, those sure served as affirmation and helped me conclude that I was doing something right. That's why I try to do the same when I go to shows...it's nice to get a compliment.

Sure it's nice to get a compliment! But...I record what I do with a guitar.

So it's right there for me to listen to and compare with other stuff I hear, and after 25 years or more in the studio, I know how to interpret what I'm hearing.

Third party validation is fun, but not necessary.

A big part of my tone quest was to make pedals that did what I wanted , this came about the same time I was heading down the PRS path together I have really found something I like on a very constant basis ( used to have more good and bad days )
I have been adding new amps to the equation but these days all I need is a good clean amp my pedals and a PRS

I think that I can honestly say that after many years of experimentation I have my own tone and I am happy with it. Of course, that required a lot of effort in the past chasing other people's tone, but gave me invaluable reference points about what certain guitars, amps and guitar/amp combinations sound like and what the limitations are. Now, I can finally hear the sound in my head coming through the speakers and much to my surprise it is not produced by a mahogany body with a maple cap but a simple thin plank of mahogany...and a very simple signal path.

Am the master of my own tone domain in as much as I don't try to cop someones exact tone - although I can still be inspired by it.

Do I have my own tone? No. My own style? Maybe... Tone wise it's in the lap of the Gods and really depends on the mood I'm in or the mood of the music.

I'd say whatever I choose probably fits into a certain range if you will. I like my overdrive / gain to be smooth. I hate overly trebly sounds or woolly, bassy sounds. I want it to cut through a mix but not through my eardrums.

I can get within that range pretty easily regardless of what equipment I use. But regardless, it's not a specific 'yeah, that's my sound' kind of thing

Does that make sense?

Getting there... my PRSi play a huge part in it but so does my Dr. Z and my Strymon pedals and, above all, the hours I spend with all of them.

Am the master of my own tone domain in as much as I don't try to cop someones exact tone - although I can still be inspired by it.

Do I have my own tone? No. My own style? Maybe... Tone wise it's in the lap of the Gods and really depends on the mood I'm in or the mood of the music.

I'd say whatever I choose probably fits into a certain range if you will. I like my overdrive / gain to be smooth. I hate overly trebly sounds or woolly, bassy sounds. I want it to cut through a mix but not through my eardrums.

I can get within that range pretty easily regardless of what equipment I use. But regardless, it's not a specific 'yeah, that's my sound' kind of thing

Does that make sense?

Yup!

I should further point out that I don't have one single tone, the guitars I have are different, and the amps are different. So there are several basic tones I've more or less worked out, and variations with pedals.

I'm a huge fan of Gary Moore but I hated his live tone later in his career. Really trebly. His playing was always fab though.
Proof of progressing tinnitus or degrading hearing, in general. If you can't hear it, you can't cut it out.

I think I'm much happier chasing that perfect tone. It's allowed me to find ones I would never have believed I was capable of. Big smile when i chase down a different sound from the same gear.

I think I'm much happier chasing that perfect tone. It's allowed me to find ones I would never have believed I was capable of. Big smile when i chase down a different sound from the same gear.

Yeah, it can be a lot of fun just to experiment.

Back