Archon 25 vs Custom 20

prs19

I haven't been able to play a custom 20 in the wild. I did get a chance to spend some time with an Archon 25. Has anyone had a chance to do a side by side comparison of the two? Obviously this is a subjective comparison but I'd be interested in any feedback head to head between the clean channels, lead channels, effects loop, overdrive pedal friendliness, and overall impressions.

I'm looking to sell a Mark 5:25 head and recitifier 1x12 cab in favor of one of these amps. My current right has a Keeley tone workstation in front of the amp and a TC gmajor 2 in the loop. I run very little effects on the TC (typically reverb, some light chorus, some light delay).

Thanks for the info!

Never played a Archon but had the Custom 20. Only thing I can offer is the gain level and structure of the 20 is NOT modern and high gain. It can rock and get pretty gainy but not really saturated. Two different beasts. It did have a good clean tone too.

Never played a Archon but had the Custom 20. Only thing I can offer is the gain level and structure of the 20 is NOT modern and high gain. It can rock and get pretty gainy but not really saturated. Two different beasts. It did have a good clean tone too.

+1 (speaking of the 50, but basically the same)

I have a Custom 50 and Archon 50. I would say the Archon is the the Custom on steroids. Both have great clean tones. The Gain on the Custom just isn't as mean as it is on the Archon. I like them both, but if I had to pick one, I'd keep the Archon. You can dial in some really classic low gain tones on the Archon as well.

The Archon has a strong mid bite that the classic amps just don't have. It doesn't so much compress (though it will do that for sure at high gain settings), it adds a crunchiness at ANY volume level. It can be a lot more aggressive than the other PRS amps, and most other brands as well. Mark Tremonti claims it is very much like his custom 6L6 Uberschall.

I play classic rock no problem on the Archon, so it is not JUST a metal amp, but I can also play heavy modern hard rock and it has the guts for that no problem. With the tone controls set flat it has a haevy scooped tone with lots of bite. With Mid all the way up it cuts through amazingly well and still sounds full in a band setting.

Thanks for the feedback gents! Based on the range the Archon had that I played I thought the experience of the Custom would be as described. I think I'll have to put the Archon on the list!

I'd never use the higher gain settings, but I'm very impressed with the clean sounds on the Archon, and that it can do lower gain tones.

I have the HXDA and DG30, yet I still would love to add a Custom 50 head to the arsenal, because...

Well, actually...I have no idea. I just love the tone on tap on them. ;)

How good can the Archon 25 do classic rock ? Is anyone using the clean channel with a OD pedal? I' owned a H I ended up selling it. I loved the H outside the house. It wasn't my favorite in my 10x12 Studio.. I may order a archon 25 tomorrow.

How good can the Archon 25 do classic rock ? Is anyone using the clean channel with a OD pedal? I' owned a H I ended up selling it. I loved the H outside the house. It wasn't my favorite in my 10x12 Studio.. I may order a archon 25 tomorrow.

This is the amp you're looking for. I use it for classic rock every week. Just turn the channel volume down and the master up and you'll see what I mean.

Be sure to get one before DreamTheaterRules. :D

Well it is official. Archon 50 combo will be coming mid next week. Pictures to follow.

Thanks for the input all!

Back