Anyone else like the CE-2w Boss Chorus?

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
I like it.

Not saying it's the ultimate but It has the sounds of two of my favorite chorus pedals, the old MIJ CE-2 and CE-1.

I rarely use chorus, but when I do want that sound this is a good one to use.

Last edited:
Way back in the '80s, the finest studio chorus in the world was the Roland Dimension D (Roland owns Boss). They still sound fantastic, and have lots of fans.

The old Boss CE1 is THE classic guitar chorus pedal. They're hard to beat.

Nonetheless, I use a Suhr Alexa (now discontinued -- this of course makes it worth One Million Dollars, right?). ;)

I love the sound, but it's different from the CE series. Vive la difference!

Way back in the '80s, the finest studio chorus in the world was the Roland Dimension D (Roland owns Boss). They still sound fantastic, and have lots of fans.

Nonetheless, I use a Suhr Alexa (now discontinued -- this of course makes it worth One Million Dollars, right?). ;)

The CE2W gets the sounds of both the CE1 and the CE2. Pretty cool!

When I was doing a solo act in the 70's and 80's I used to plug my Ovation into my CE2.

Didn't have it on all the time but i'd use it for tunes like Sailing or Here Comes The Sun...that kind of thing.

Sounded new and fresh at the time.

Last edited:
Interesting comparison...

Interesting. Each one did a very slightly different thing.

The older MIJ one had a little too much coloration for my taste. I preferred the Waza version, it seemed the most neutral while still doing that Boss chorus thing. But there was nothing at all wrong with the Taiwan example, I just felt the Waza sounded a tiny bit more natural.

Admittedly, this is the kind of stuff the Taste Fairy who runs my life brings to the table for me to chew on. Which one did you prefer, if any, Lew?

Interesting. Each one did a very slightly different thing.

The older MIJ one had a little too much coloration for my taste. I preferred the Waza version, it seemed the most neutral while still doing that Boss chorus thing. But there was nothing at all wrong with the Taiwan example, I just felt the Waza sounded a tiny bit more natural.

Admittedly, this is the kind of stuff the Taste Fairy who runs my life brings to the table for me to chew on. Which one did you prefer, if any, Lew?
The Waza and the MIJ CE2. But they all sounded nice.

I did buy the Waza pedal awhile back.

I like it. Both the CE1 and CE2 sounds.

Last edited:

Ooh, I used to love the Dimension D! Now I’m stuck with my H9 chorus Algos which sound heavenly.

I Have An Old CE-1 In Box Laying Around Somewhere. Great Pedal...I Really Like The Alexa But My Favorite Modern Pedal Is The Free The Tone Pedal. Every Pedal That Company Makes Is Absolutely Stellar In Every Way And Simple To Use.

The CE2w (Waza ) is also made in Japan and has stereo outputs. which my original MIJ CE2 didn't.

Stereo chorus through two amps is a gorgeous sound.

It's one of the reasons I bought that second HDRX 20.

Last edited:
I Have An Old CE-1 In Box Laying Around Somewhere. Great Pedal...I Really Like The Alexa But My Favorite Modern Pedal Is The Free The Tone Pedal. Every Pedal That Company Makes Is Absolutely Stellar In Every Way And Simple To Use.
Free The Tone pedals are fantastic.

BOSS has made definitive pedal sounds for decades.

Other notable chorus pedals might include:
Electric Mistress (OLD)
TC Electronic Corona (sounds amazing stereo)
Strymon Ola (also sounds insane stereo, OMG)...

...and I know it's a Phaser, but the Earthquaker Devices "Grand Orbiter V3" is pure T!TS.

Last edited:
their Flanger is decent as well . As I recall on Les Paul live shows he had a whole boss pedal board ( later years) .. Roland makes good gear

I like the Boss Chorus. I am also a fan of the MXR Analog Chorus. Even though I like these pedals the one that I really like that has not been able to be unseated from my board is the TC Electronic Corona Chorus. I just did a shoot out again when I reconfigured my board and it was the winner yet again. I have two of the full size pedals and a mini of this pedal. I have them on three different boards.

As a side note, the TC Electronic Flashback, the original, also won the shootout yet again and I have two full size and the mini of this pedal on the three boards as well. I was a little surprised that after so long of having them on the board and me owning other pedals that are the same effect, they both held their ground and still sounded better to me than other options.

I've been using the TC stereo Chorus/Flnager / Pitch for years since I heard Eric Johnson using it ..

I'm not a big chorus guy, but I love the Dimension D. Don't have a pedal or rack version, but I do have a plugin that gets used all the time. I also have a CE2 plugin that I never use, lol.

I used a Roland GP3 preamp ages ago. It had some really nice chorus effects. I ran that into the return of a 6V6 powered amp and had a sweet little 22 watt rig that was midi controlled.

Well I put my CE-2w on my big pedal board at the end so I can use it with two amps in stereo.

Played around with having the Hall of Fame Reverb last and the Chorus last.

The chorus effect was clearer and more dramatic with IT being last.

Lets see how long it stays there.

I have no amps with an effects loop.

Everything is on a pedal board in front of my amps.

Well I put my CE-2w on my big pedal board at the end so I can use it with two amps in stereo.

Played around with having the Hall of Fame Reverb last and the Chorus last.

The chorus effect was clearer and more dramatic with IT being last.

Lets see how long it stays there.

I have no amps with an effects loop.

Everything is on a pedal board in front of my amps.
I’m not an effects loop person; I put my effects in front even using my amps with effects loops.

Part of it is sound preference, part is that there are fewer impedance matching and noise issues.

I know others use and want loops, and more power to ‘em. Just not my thing.

I’m not an effects loop person; I put my effects in front even using my amps with effects loops.

Part of it is sound preference, part is that there are fewer impedance matching and noise issues.

Nor I.

But I couldn't even if i wanted to because NONE of my amps have an effects loop.

I am the same way. The amp I have gigged the longest doesn't have a loop in it so I had to run everything in the front. I have been able to get all of the tones I want this way so I stick with it. I don't want to run more cables and split my pedalboard to be able to run some in the loop when I take one of my amps with a loop in it. This also lets me use just about any amp to play. I can dial in the volume and tone of the clean amp that I like then run the board into the front and I will be able to get the tones I am used to playing.

Back