Any PRS amps aside the Archon do extreme metal?

Thisundyingfire

I'm looking for a do it all amp due to budget. Something for church, something for indie rock, grunge, Korn/Tool type stuff and harder stuff like Killswitch Engage and Dillinger Escape Plan

The Archon in clips sounds too dry and stiff to me so that's why I excluded it

The 2 channel amps are fantastic all-around amps. I have an SE version that I wouldn't hesitate to play any gig with, and the USA ones I'm sure are even better. The drive channel will do anything from classic rock tones to grunge to searing leads. The clean channel is really full and robust, and takes pedals like a CHARM. I have a Wampler Plexi Drive on my board for plexi sounds, and a silver first gen Jekyll and Hyde that does a great rectifier tone, and with that rig I can play almost anything. Find a couple good pedals to put with a 2 Channel H or Custom, and you'll be unstoppable.

Edit: I also haven't cared for any of the Archon clips I've heard. Full disclosure, I haven't actually played one, so I'm not in a position to say for sure, but I'm also not really seeking one out. As you said, they sound a little flat, and I don't like the breakup character that I'm hearing.

Now I'm going to brace myself for the consequences if that statement...

Last edited:
If by "stiff" you mean "difficult to play smoothly"--like some Fryettes and Engls--the Archon is definitely not that. Tight, yes, but not stiff.

I prefer my 2 Channel Custom to my Archon. The Archon has an incredible clean channel, but the gain channel sounds shrill and harsh to my ears. And, most of the music I play is through the gain. The 2 Channel Custom is my gigging amp, and I completely dig it. It has a very silky gain, and if I need something harsher, I use a pedal.

I'm looking for a do it all amp due to budget.

Pedals can be your friend if your amp takes you to most of the places you want to go.

Obviously, you have to make good pedal choices, and that takes time and money, but when you hit on the right combination, it's pretty sweet.

It only took me 47 years of playing to learn this. Incidentally, I think the Archon sounds good for what you're doing, but no amp is for everyone.

If by "stiff" you mean "difficult to play smoothly"--like some Fryettes and Engls--the Archon is definitely not that. Tight, yes, but not stiff.
Agreed. Quite the opposite. I find it really easy and fun to play through. It excels at the tones the OP is looking for. I do agree that most of the clips don't do it justice. I don't find any of the other amps do that style. I played a couple different 2 channels and neither got me close to what I was after for that type of sound.

Last edited:

This right here. My Pitbull Ultralead is what I would call dry, stiff and unforgiving. The Archon is more forgiving; more like a killer sounding recto to my ears. You shouldn't dismiss it until you play one.....it can definitely do what you're after.

Back