Another pickup swap

gush

Where is that speedo pic
Some time ago I put a set of 8515 in my 2000 McCarty. Loved the neck but didn't care for the bridge.

I've tried a few different bridge pickups trying to find one that mates with 8515 neck but it's been a struggle. The 8515 neck isn't high output but it produces frequencies that make it seem that way.

I've decided to pull em. Maybe the 8515 just isn't a good fit in an older McCarty format? Prs puts covered 5815s in the McCarty from the factory so maybe there is a reason for that? Maybe Paul knows a little more than the rest of us when it comes to guitars??? Ha ha ha

Anyway, I got a set of Starlas from a great fella here and that's what I'm putting in it.

I'll spend some time later today testing it out.

Fingers crossed.

Some time ago I put a set of 8515 in my 2000 McCarty. Loved the neck but didn't care for the bridge.

I've tried a few different bridge pickups trying to find one that mates with 8515 neck but it's been a struggle. The 8515 neck isn't high output but it produces frequencies that make it seem that way.

I've decided to pull em. Maybe the 8515 just isn't a good fit in an older McCarty format? Prs puts covered 5815s in the McCarty from the factory so maybe there is a reason for that? Maybe Paul knows a little more than the rest of us when it comes to guitars??? Ha ha ha

Anyway, I got a set of Starlas from a great fella here and that's what I'm putting in it.

Fingers crossed.
I have to agree on the 8515. Fantastic neck pickup, but the treble isn't my fav and matching so far with other pickups has returned some interesting and unique results. Right now the 8515 bass pickup is in my KL33, killer, having a hard time convincing myself to pull it...

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the starlas in there. Awesome pickups.

Fingers crossed.
Paul feels that the same humbucker without a cover will have a little more treble and bass.

The cover takes some edge off the treble and gives the humbucker a warmer, softer quality to the treble.

The diff can be heard by most people but not all.

Depends how deaf or stubborn that person is I guess!

Last edited:
I love both 85/15s in my CU24; they seem the perfect match for that guitar, but the CU24 does a different thing from a McCarty, and the bridge pickup's in a different location.

For me, 57/08s would be perfect in a McCarty. It's not that I don't like the 58/15s - they're excellent. But I love the 57/08s because they're a little bit fatter.

I love both 85/15s in my CU24; they seem the perfect match for that guitar, but the CU24 does a different thing from a McCarty, and the bridge pickup's in a different location.

For me, 57/08s would be perfect in a McCarty. It's not that I don't like the 58/15s - they're excellent. But I love the 57/08s because they're a little bit fatter.
I love 5708 neck but the 5708 bridge just doesn't do it for me. I had a set of square bobbin in my ce24 and covered in my HB.

The only issue I have with the 57/08 is that it makes my other favorite paf style pickups sound bad!

I'm joking. They still sound great. But they do sound like second best. Or close runners up.

If I'm playing my CE-22 with the BKP Abraxas pickups or my Bernie Marsden with Duncan Antiquitys and grooving, it's best not to stop and compare them to my guitar with 57/08's because the 57/08's always sound "better" to me.

Something about the 57/08 seems to give the guitars they're in more sustain. The note I'm holding keeps going longer and it doesn't die out as quickly. The note responds to my finger vibrato and i can more easily coax the note into sustaining longer.

My BKP Abraxas bridge pickup sounds great and at 14K is an excellent "hotter than a real paf" pickup. It has a tone that appeals to me.

But it's easier to get fat, thick Santana style sustain with the 57/08 and when I go back and forth between the 57/08 and the Abraxas or the 57/08 and the Antiquity, the 57/08 always wins.

Last edited:
I did put the Starla pickups in my McCarty.......unfortunately it's a no go.

Just didn't care for them in this guitar anyway.

I decided to put a covered 5310 in bridge and McCarty in neck.

I know I have a set of McCarty pickups but I can't find them. While digging through my other parts drawers I found another 5310 neck squabbin pickup that I didn't realize I had.

So for now, covered 5310 bridge uncovered 5310 neck. So far I like it but ill be on the look out for covered 5310 or 5708 neck pickup.

I'll know more after I spend more time with it.

Back