Amp Head??? Hughes & Kettner Tubmister 36

kallen37

I'm looking into getting a Hughes and Kettner Tubmister 36 this week as they are 17% off. I'll be using it with a Boss GT 100. I like the MIDI to switch settings on the amp as well as the sound of the amp. I have a Rolland JC 120 amp that I use now and would like to have it adapted to use the speakers as a cab for the short term or longer (it saves space and $). My questions are:

Any comments on the amp choice?

Is using with the speakers of the JC 120 a bad idea?

How hard is it to set this amp up with the MIDI of the GT 100?

Can I use the MIDI with the 4 cable method?

Thanks for any help! And MERRY CHRISTMAS

Kurtis

EXCELLENT AMP.

You won't go wrong with it. They are SOLID amps. Very well built

I had. TM36 head going into 2 Mesa 1x12's and it was thunderous! Even set at 1 watt.

I know a bit about the JC120, and I'm not sure if those speakers would match well with the H&K.
But what do I know...give it a try, see what happens

I had to sell it off, but I plan on getting another.

Where are they on sale?

You'll hear a lot of snobby comments about "they use Chinese tubes" etc...it sounds just fine and there's plenty of great tone.

I can't comment on the MIDI functions as I just use the effects loop and that's all.

Good luck!

T.

Thanks Tony:

Musican's Friend has 17% off orders over $199.

I have read about the tubes but opinions are mixed. I can always get some new tubes for not a lot of cash.

Kurtis

I've had one of these since the beginning of the year. I got it as a more portable version of my Triamp Mk II head, and while it's not quite as flexible as the Triamp, it's close enough for most situations.

You'll probably want different speakers than the JC120 at some point. I've used an Avatar 1x12, the H&K 1x12, and a PRS SE 2x12, with the latter probably sounding the best.

No idea about the GT100. I've used mine with a small pedalboard and the H&K FSM MIDI board in something similar to the 4-cable method..

I had a tubemeister 18 and now have the grandmeister 36 . Same tube layout las the tubemeister. Excellent amps to say the least. I'm still loving mine and they are worth the money. The tubes sound good to me and are still lasting . Pull the trigger, you won't regret it.

Back