Almost Paisley-Ish...Studio Must-Have

They did a good job laying out the basement floor plan when they built this place. So there's a fair amount of useable space that's just used for storage right now, with a large storage/HVAC area on the other side. I've contemplated having a proper recording booth built into that storage space, but it'd probably be a complete waste of money since what's here is working fine.

The good thing about this room is that except for the soffits over the HVAC ducts, the ceiling is a full 8 feet, and that's pretty unusual in my area for a basement. As a result, the room has a very natural sound. My last studio was in the larger basement of my old house, but the ceilings were only 7.5 feet, and while most folks don't think about it, sounds in the room are a little different when you have a lower ceiling.

You have an awesome setup...much kudos to you!!!

It's a funny thing. At one time, it was all about walking into a studio that was loaded with racks of gear, the way mine used to be. As folks have gone "in the box," i.e., computer, plugins, DAWs, studios have gotten emptier and emptier.

One of my fellow composers still has all of his old hardware, even though he only uses his console as a big summing mixer and never uses his hardware any more. He was joking around/complaining one day and said, "The only difference between a hobbyist with a computer and some guitars, and a pro studio these days, is the furniture."

He's right, as far as he went, but he forgot to mention the rug.

I love my rug!

Back