All things strings... Custom set or not?

Casi1

Hello,

Do any of you guys customize your string set like mixing 10s with 11s individual strings to address a balancing, sustain, or harmonics issue?

I'm considering doing this to address a low end 'boominess' with one of my Korina bodied guitars. Adjusting my amp hasnt significantly helped.

Also, do folks typically play one gauge of strings for all of their guitars or do you feel the tone is dependent on the specific guitar so the Strat gets 9s but the PRS gets 11s, etc.

What are your thoughts?

I apologize if this has already been discussed (if so, please feel free to point me to the existing thread)...

Thanks guys! Your input will help me in determining my next steps.

If I can't find a string set with the appropriate gauges then I will supplement a given set with a single string to replace any strings I don't like. For example, I use Ernie Ball 12-56 on one of my guitars and hate the 24p string, so then I just buy a single 24w or 22p (haven't decided which I prefer yet) and throw out the 24p string.

Changing the gauge to address the low end boom on one of your guitars will help, but you can only go so far without negatively impacting other things (feel, etc.). Have you tried an EQ pedal or OD (set to 'clean boost' settings). Alternatively, swapping the bridge pickup is another option, albeit a more expensive one.

I have a handful of guitars, all in different tunings, and each guitar has a different gauge on it. I use 10-46 (ernie ball or d'addario), 11-49 (d'addario), 12-54 (d'addario), 12-56 (ernie ball), and 10-59 (d'addario) gauge sets.

If I can't find a string set with the appropriate gauges then I will supplement a given set with a single string to replace any strings I don't like. For example, I use Ernie Ball 12-56 on one of my guitars and hate the 24p string, so then I just buy a single 24w or 22p (haven't decided which I prefer yet) and throw out the 24p string.

Changing the gauge to address the low end boom on one of your guitars will help, but you can only go so far without negatively impacting other things (feel, etc.). Have you tried an EQ pedal or OD (set to 'clean boost' settings). Alternatively, swapping the bridge pickup is another option, albeit a more expensive one.

I have a handful of guitars, all in different tunings, and each guitar has a different gauge on it. I use 10-46 (ernie ball or d'addario), 11-49 (d'addario), 12-54 (d'addario), 12-56 (ernie ball), and 10-59 (d'addario) gauge sets.

Thanks for the info! I have an EQ pedal but find that I would only need it for these Korina PRSi (which is kind of a hassle) and none of my other ones. I will definitely pull it out and see if adjusting it gets rid of the boom. I hadnt thought of that...

Seems like adjusting pickup height ( and pole pieces ) would be more effective at addressing your issues tone wise or like mentioned an eq pedal or a clean boost pedal with a tone knob or a pedal I build at Tonal Insanity called the Nigara could work
I do like to go to a lighter string gauge for 25.5 in scale guitars ( 9 or 9.5s ) pretty happy with 10s otherwise

I've done custom gauges for things like stringing an acoustic in Nashville tuning, but not for electric. I've bought sets that other guys have customized - Greg Platzer at BCR Music had a custom set called Greg's Choice that I've used. But by and large, I just use what the manufacturers sell.

I play mostly 10s now, but I think I've only converted a couple guitars to 10s from something else. Still use the standard 11s on my DGT, and I have 9.5s on the CU24. I have a Strat and an LP that are 9s. The only guitar that gave me fits going from 9 to 10 was an EVH Stripe - it was the first time I did that on a guitar w/a Floyd and a D-Tuna. Once I dialed it in (hint - it involved quite a bit of swearing!), it's been rock solid ever since.

Hello,

Do any of you guys customize your string set like mixing 10s with 11s individual strings to address a balancing, sustain, or harmonics issue?

I'm considering doing this to address a low end 'boominess' with one of my Korina bodied guitars. Adjusting my amp hasnt significantly helped.

Also, do folks typically play one gauge of strings for all of their guitars or do you feel the tone is dependent on the specific guitar so the Strat gets 9s but the PRS gets 11s, etc.

What are your thoughts?

I apologize if this has already been discussed (if so, please feel free to point me to the existing thread)...

Thanks guys! Your input will help me in determining my next steps.
I typically use 10s on all my solidbody guitars, 12s on my acoustics, flatwound 12s on my archtops. The 7-string acoustics are a bear, though (non-PRS, so I will leave it at that). But there are plenty of good choices for 7-string electric solidbody guitars, so I typically use those. But even within those, there are still some variety of choices.

I have thought about giving the even tension thing a go, but still working up the nerve to muck with it.

Once I start experimenting with tunings (mostly open), I will definitely be experimenting with string gauges as well.

Seems like adjusting pickup height ( and pole pieces ) would be more effective at addressing your issues tone wise or like mentioned an eq pedal or a clean boost pedal with a tone knob or a pedal I build at Tonal Insanity called the Nigara could work
I do like to go to a lighter string gauge for 25.5 in scale guitars ( 9 or 9.5s ) pretty happy with 10s otherwise

Thanks! I will check your pedal out. I'm also going to try to work up the nerve tonight to go get my screwdriver and play with the pole pieces.

I typically use 10s on all my solidbody guitars, 12s on my acoustics, flatwound 12s on my archtops. The 7-string acoustics are a bear, though (non-PRS, so I will leave it at that). But there are plenty of good choices for 7-string electric solidbody guitars, so I typically use those. But even within those, there are still some variety of choices.

I have thought about giving the even tension thing a go, but still working up the nerve to muck with it.

Once I start experimenting with tunings (mostly open), I will definitely be experimenting with string gauges as well.

Cool. Thanks for the info! I havent experimented with tunings yet either. Mostly, I stick with the gauges that come stock on the particular guitar... so I end up with 10s on PRSi (except the Korina McCarty) and 9s on that manufacturer that starts with F.

I've done custom gauges for things like stringing an acoustic in Nashville tuning, but not for electric. I've bought sets that other guys have customized - Greg Platzer at BCR Music had a custom set called Greg's Choice that I've used. But by and large, I just use what the manufacturers sell.

I play mostly 10s now, but I think I've only converted a couple guitars to 10s from something else. Still use the standard 11s on my DGT, and I have 9.5s on the CU24. I have a Strat and an LP that are 9s. The only guitar that gave me fits going from 9 to 10 was an EVH Stripe - it was the first time I did that on a guitar w/a Floyd and a D-Tuna. Once I dialed it in (hint - it involved quite a bit of swearing!), it's been rock solid ever since.

Thanks. I seem to play mostly 10s too. If all else fails, I will look for some custom sets like the ones you mention. I know my tech was having nut slot issues with a guitar recently because the owner wanted a major gauge change (like 9s to 11s/12s or something)... I hope that worked out for them. It didnt sound like fun thats for sure.

Regarding the "boominess" of your korina body guitar - have you tried adjusting the pole pieces of your pickups, or the overall height of the pups? That might be all you need to do.

I use (regular) 10s on all of my "normal" electrics, unless they still happen to have 9s on them (e.g. PRS SEs bought new where I haven't done a string swap yet). I think the non-PRS guitars I have might still have 9s on them, because that is what I used a lot prior to jumping into the PRS pool.

My baritones obviously have thicker strings (stock).

My HB has (regular) 11s with wound G on it, IIRC. I had switched to 10s for a bit, can't remember if I switched back. Acoustics have 12s.

I don't use custom sets, except by accident when I replace a string mid set and don't have the exact gauge available.

[edited for clarification and typos]

Last edited:
I´ve used for a couple of years a custom set that I call Tenlevens :D, a mix between tens and elevens.
10-14-18-26-36-50 All equal tension to the pitch. I like it like that because I love to feel the same "struggle" when bending each string. On regular sets, I feel the highE stiffer than B and G, and lowE softer than A an D.

Regarding the "boominess" of your korina body guitar - have you tried adjusting the pole pieces of your pickups, or the overall height of the pups? That might be all you need to do.

I use (regular) 10s on all of my "normal" electrics, unless they still happen to have 9s on them (e.g. PRS SEs bought new where I haven't done a string swap yet). I think the non-PRS guitars I have might still have 9s on them, because that is what I used a lot prior to jumping into the PRS pool.

My baritones obviously have thicker strings (stock).

My HB has (regular) 11s with wound G on it, IIRC. I had switched to 10s for a bit, can't remember if I switched back. Acoustics have 12s.

I don't use custom sets, except by accident when I replace a string mid set and don't have the exact gauge available.

[edited for clarification and typos]
Thanks .... I took your (and others) advice and turned the pole piece about a quarter turn and that seemed to have helped. The other strings sound great to me so I dont know if changing the pickup height would change the sound of those strings (the output level and balance sounds perfect on the high end).

I´ve used for a couple of years a custom set that I call Tenlevens :D, a mix between tens and elevens.
10-14-18-26-36-50 All equal tension to the pitch. I like it like that because I love to feel the same "struggle" when bending each string. On regular sets, I feel the highE stiffer than B and G, and lowE softer than A an D.
Lol. Tenlevens?

I totally get what you are saying about wanting the 'same struggle'.

Thanks .... I took your (and others) advice and turned the pole piece about a quarter turn and that seemed to have helped. The other strings sound great to me so I dont know if changing the pickup height would change the sound of those strings (the output level and balance sounds perfect on the high end).

Glad to hear the pole piece height has helped. And yes, if you change the overall pickup height it will make everything (all strings) sound different.

A 9.5 set as came stock on my McCarty is not an easy find in Hawaii. I set it up and string it with 10s and be done with it. Over the last year and a half, I've converted all of my electrics to 10's with a proper set up. It's just easier for me to keep up with what's mounted on my gits.

This is more likely to be your fix.

On my Strats I typically use the d'addario 10-46 set.
But the 408, with its shorter scale, allows me to use their 11-50 set. Helps fill in a bit of the squawkiness of rolling off the tone on the neck pup.

Back