85/15 Bass pickup on a Singlecut/SE 245?

Carlost

Has anyone tried this? 85/15 neck pickup (core, S, or even a 58/15), on a Singlecut, SE 245, Tremonti, or Les Paul?

I have a SE 245 with a stock neck pickup. I like the pickup's tonal EQ a lot, but its attack sounds too spiky on this hardtail guitar. So I'm not playing it enough. I also have an SE Custom 22 with 85/15S pickups, and I'm completely in love that combination. Its whisper-soft attack fits beautifully into a mix with other instruments.

I've already tamed one brittle-sounding Epi Les Paul by swapping on an 85/15S Bass pup. And I have another spare 85/15S Bass sitting around. If anyone's tried one on any Singlecut/LP-style guitar, please tell me what to expect? If you've even tried a DiMarzio PAF Pro (similar pillowy attack), I'm interested.

I play jazz/fusion, clean. So I want to preserve the SE 245's deep, rich clean tone – but with less spike. I've already tried rolling off the tone pot, adding a cover, and even blending in just a hair of the bridge pup. All these hacks messed with the EQ that I like, without really removing the spike. (They muted the wrong transients.) I'm looking for pillowy envelope but full-frequency tonal profile. Thanks!

I'd imagine it sounds similar to the one you've already swapped in the epi.

OK, done: Swapped both SE 245 stock pickups for 85/15 S pups. Great improvement – I recommend this, if you like clean tones.

The 85/15 S Bass pup still sounds articulate and full, and still has good LP bark. But this eliminates the 245 S Bass pup's brittle edge. (Which was driving me crazy.) I might have lost a few lower frequencies, but I can EQ that, – and it's worth it for sweeter attack. In all, this sounds like a richer version of my LP with a 57 Classic neck pup (which I love). I'm really happy.

Also, this is the 4th SE from which I've removed the 245 S Treble pickup. That pup has never sounded pleasing to me, not even on my Santana's – too hot and honky, in a nasty nasal way. The 85/15 S Treble is much sweeter and more usable as a clean pup. And it still plays well with overdrive and distortion.

I'm hoping that PRS will start shipping SE 245's with 85/15s. They – as with 59/09s, at least to my ear – seem to bring out something good on any guitar where you install them.

Last edited:
I have an 8515 neck pickup in my DC McCarty and it is the best neck pickup I've ever played.

Back