594 Treble Bleed?

Keith B.

Hi. Can anyone tell me if the current day 594s have a treble bleed wired? I assume no... So, second question is, has anyone done it and what method / components were used and how were the results? I assume one would install on both volume pots?

Thank you.

They do not.

For a treble bleed for humbuckers, you can't beat the 180pf cap normally used by PRS, for me at least.

Have to do it on both volume pots, unless you like one pickup without it.

Instead of a treble bleed, I converted mine to Gibson style 50's wiring. Quick, easy, and free if you know how to solder. It made the volume controls so much more useful for me. I still say that's the one missed detail on the 594.

They do not.

For a treble bleed for humbuckers, you can't beat the 180pf cap normally used by PRS, for me at least.

Have to do it on both volume pots, unless you like one pickup without it.

Instead of a treble bleed, I converted mine to Gibson style 50's wiring. Quick, easy, and free if you know how to solder. It made the volume controls so much more useful for me. I still say that's the one missed detail on the 594.
Garrett, does the 50s Gibson wiring have the bleed by default? I knew they had it in some periods and not others, but I never knew which. Thanks!

It actually negates the need for a treble bypass cap. It connects the tone control to the output side of the volume (middle lug) instead of to the input side. All the treble stays put regardless of where the volume is set. The trade-off is the tone control steals a wee bit of volume when you roll it back.

I too wondered if the 594 had a treble bleed. Thanks for the excellent responses. I’ve heard about the Gibson wiring before but never knew what it really meant

Yes, thanks all. I am more and more convinced I should do a treble bleed or the gibson 50s wiring. Way too good of a guitar to not get some great rolled off volume options.

I converted mine to Gibson style 50's wiring. Quick, easy, and free if you know how to solder. It made the volume controls so much more useful for me. I still say that's the one missed detail on the 594.

Can 50s wiring still keep the push/pull coil splitting?

And I agree, it is a missed detail on the 594, for sure.

Remember, if you are going to install a treble bleed, there are 3 popular versions.
When I modded my SE Custom 24, I tried out all three and opted for the Kinman style. I chose that one because it had the most even volume roll-off for my guitar. I also experimented with different values of resistors. I did also experiment with different value caps for the tone control. Regarding the coil splitting, the bleed should not mess that up, but you will notice that both the split and unsplit tones will be a bit different. But that’s what you are going for. Right?

Hi everyone. So I put a Duncan style treble bleed on my 58/15s LT and I can't roll the volume past 2 it literally switches the pick up off. Can I modify the treble bleed to improve the sweep on my volume pot and how?
Using CTS 550K pots and I didn't wire the coil splits.

Hi everyone. So I put a Duncan style treble bleed on my 58/15s LT and I can't roll the volume past 2 it literally switches the pick up off. Can I modify the treble bleed to improve the sweep on my volume pot and how?
It’s been a while since I’ve played with that, but I think you can experiment with different size resistors either on the cap leg or between the grounded leg of the pot and ground. Also, the type of pot you use might affect that. I’ve read that you should use audio taper for volume and linear taper for tone, but there are those who disagree.

I would suggest first experimenting with the different styles of bleeds to see what works best for you. Then experiment with differing resistors. A pair of alligator clips will prevent a lot of resoldering in this quest.

It’s been a while since I’ve played with that, but I think you can experiment with different size resistors either on the cap leg or between the grounded leg of the pot and ground. Also, the type of pot you use might affect that. I’ve read that you should use audio taper for volume and linear taper for tone, but there are those who disagree.

I would suggest first experimenting with the different styles of bleeds to see what works best for you. Then experiment with differing resistors. A pair of alligator clips will prevent a lot of resoldering in this quest.

As suggested above, look up the different types of treble bleed circuits. You can put a resistor in the circuit to help with the pot taper. It can be added in series or parallel. They give a little different results.

I converted mine to Gibson style 50's wiring. Quick, easy, and free if you know how to solder. It made the volume controls so much more useful for me. I still say that's the one missed detail on the 594.

Just had this done on my 594 and am so glad I did! Way more useable variety of tones and much more like my LP. Super glad I did it. 594s should come this way, really.

Also put in Bare Knuckle Black Dogs, big improvement.

As a contrasting thought, I never really noticed that my 594 didn't have the treble bleed circuits in it. I have never felt the guitar gets too dark when turning the volume down. I don't really miss them in this guitar. I typically am not a fan of not having them but for some reason in this guitar, I am not hearing an issue.

Back