594 pickups vs Les Paul R9

P90s

The pick-ups on my Les Paul R9 break up at a fairly low volume when the guitar is dialed up. If I'm looking for a clean tone when the amp is low volume so that volume on the guitar needs to be high, I always switch to my McCarty HB. Great clean tones at 10. Do the 594 pickups break up at fairly low volume like the Les Paul R9, or can you run them at higher volume and still get a clean tone?

I think you can run them fairly high and still get that clean tone. That was kinda right in MA Pete's wheelhouse.

58/15's and 58/15 LT pickups will both stay clean (and sound amazing doing it) with the volume up, amp settings pending.

For reference, using a McCarty with 58/15's and the Plexi channel of my Helios 100, volume at 10 is classic rock crunch, volume at 6-7 slightly broken up clean and then 4-5 is clean. If I use the clean channel on the Helios or clean channel on my 101b or Triamp, it will stay pristinely clean even with the guitar volume on 10.

So ya, with a channel switching amp, your clean will be very clean, even with the volume dialed up. On a single channel plexi style amp, these pickups clean up very well and you should have no trouble either dialing in a clean tone or using your guitars volume effectively.

Back