53/10 Pickups

I haven't owned a PRS in about 10 years, so my comparison is the original series of pickups. I loved the HFS, liked the Dragon I's and didn't care for the Dragon II's. I have no experience with the number series (6's, 7's, etc.) or the year series. I've been out of the loop too long I guess. Does that make me a Ludite? :p

A lot of people base their understanding of P90s to ‘56 - ‘60 ish LP/SG juniors. These are usually Alnico 2/5 and are over 6k or 7k. These are generally, (very generally) quite a good bit hotter and brighter than lot of earlier P90s, like early 50s were an Alnico 3, much ‘warmer’ magnet as far as attack and treble go, same for maple board vintage strays, Alnico 3, warmer and fatter sounding than the 60s era rosewood strats. Early 50s P90s were often c. 5k, not hot, warmer, came in archtops, jazz boxes.

I think of pickups and ampliers as native translators trying to convert tribal language (string movement & magnetic field flux) into English (sound in air).

Each translator has a different level proficiency. Some leave out entire words creating gaps in the meaning, leaving you nonplussed. Some have native accents. Then there are some that translate perfectly, conveying every nuance.

But none of them add any words on their own accord. They only subtract, or possess accents. The best ones subtract zero, and possess no accent.

But in the end the output is still English and human meaning. It won’t be a random gibberish or alien thought.

A bit of accent is okay so long as little is left out in translation and clarity/definition is present. I would like to think the 53/10’s are being that way. I’ve several sets of these pickups. I don’t like or dislike them over 57/08’s, 59/09’s etc.

I definitely like them over stock Epiphone pickups though. These guys reduce Shakespeare into functional communication. The definition is terrible. “Wherefore art thou” becomes “where the heck are ya”.

Last edited:
I have two sets of 5310s. One set in a mahogany ce22 and one set In my parts drawer.

Love these pickups.

Back