3D Printed Instruments

Goldtop

A Top (and Heart) of Gold
I think 3D printing is really interesting, and the possibilities of using the technology in the making of musical instruments seems to have a lot of potential. Maybe not in actually producing the final instruments (yet), but in the development and testing of new designs, etc. For one thing, just imagine the wood that could be saved in one year if prototypes could be developed this way rather than with raw wood. Or if lower end, beginner instruments were made through 3D printing, thereby saving resources for other needs.

Here is a short video with a designer who uses 3D printing to design guitars. Then there is a link to a series of ten videos where an entire band performed with 3D printed instruments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjomcTI2OMI&list=PLz_Lfegicx_qQRiKdEKCBnRTHK7nM0Sy2

Goldtop Lloyd

Last edited by a moderator:
This technology is remarkable! I think you're right about using 3D printing to create some entry level instruments, but I don't see the high end market going in this direction any time soon. I do think 3D printing will become common place in another 10-15 years and folks will be able to make many of their own products. The money will be in creating the CAD drawings needed for the computer.

15 years ago who would have thought that we would each be carrying around a small computer in our pockets?

Someone scanned a Stradivarius and printed a copy. I'll try to find the original article.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't make an instrument out of it, but a la Jay Leno and his garage I would use it to make plastic parts. It would be good to make pickup rings, knobs and even tuner buttons!

As the ink-jet type technology grows, I am certain you will see from VERY interesting and Graphic looks we have NEVER seen before...
This type of technology is changing many products in the design community....
Seriously, you better hold on to your hat!

Several months ago, there was a new Jeff Dunham special. It was a separate show produced as a lead up to his latest performance DVD. In it, Jeff showed how he had developed a new character for his act. The character was Achmed's son - Achmed Jr. - and the way Jeff did it is he bought one of these 3D printers and installed it in his garage at home. He then had some concept artwork done, got the parameters, and fed them into the printer. Then the thing started printing, and it continued on for something like twenty plus hours. The end result was a three dimensional head of the new character. From that, Jeff made molds so he could make the new head in plastic and have endless, cheap replacements. Then a little airbrushing, some parts for the body, clothes, and he was on his way.

Just imagine the uses for this technology someday. All this, and some of us still manage to burn the toast once in a while...

Lloyd

3D printing is pretty cool. My daughter made this puzzle as a project for her Intro to Engineering Design (9th grade) class last Fall using CAD software and the 3D printer in the class. The pieces are hollow.

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

Very interesting! I ended up passing the link around to some guys at work. Exciting to think that at some point NOTHING would be obsolete for lack of mechanical parts - If you have a drawing you can make the part. THE new business model for parts suppliers - parts on DEMAND - print up the part when the order comes in! NO INVENTORY!

Very exciting stuff. :D

Last edited:
Back