2000 PRS CU22 Dragon II p'ups w/pole pieces that are FROZEN??? Any ideas why???

digeratti

OK I'm re-installing the original Dragon II p'ups in my 2000 CU22 and when I tried to adjust the pole pieces to follow the radius of the stings I discovered that they are all frozen in place???

I don't want to force them but they are all at the exact same height ... just below the cover on the Dragon which is soldered in place, sealing it.

I've watched the PRS tech YouTube video where they show adjusting the pole pieces to match the 10" radius of the fret board.

Any ideas if/what I should do?

Thanks in advance!

Turns out that they were just 'resistive' from not being adjusted (ever?).

A little elbow grease and they now match the fretboard's 10" radius and they sound fantastic!

Thanks!

I was going to say, send them to Phoenix. They'll unfreeze in my mailbox, GAIR-UN-TEED. My mailbox has been known to unfreeze pickup wax.

Im glad to hear you like the drag2s. Some people say t hey sound muddy but I like mine in my cu22

John Beef had it right ... the old wax in them was hard but warming them up solved the problem of adjusting the pole pieces.

I do like their tones, too!

But, there always seems to be, "one more thing" that needs attention? In my case the nut slot for the G-string is deadening it. I'm pretty sure that was because the previous owner(s?) used heavier gauge strings than the 9's it originally had and that I'm using, again. I think the heavier string damaged the slot so that it muffles the tone of only that one string. I lifted it out of the slot and put it next to the slot and it rings, normally so it is definitely that one slot. All of the other strings sound fine.

For the present, I'm going to replace the G-string with one from a 10 gauge set that I have. It sounded fine, originally and I think that there was a 10 gauge string set on it, then.

Eventually, I'll try to put a new nut on it. I've made some before but I don't have the proper tools to do it right and the tools cost a lot. I may just have PRS Tech do it for me?

For now I will just swap out the G-string and play it for awhile longer.

Did you put rotary back in? My cu22 has*3way and I always wondered what the in between settings sound like with drag 2s.

Yes, I put back the rotary switch/circuit mainly because it just looked so cool! It looks better than any other switch I've seen. Sort of like the insides of a fine pocket watch? Nicely done! And silent when switching, too! I'm not sure how they managed that one?

But I am very pleased with the tones it delivers with the Dragon IIs ... each sounding quite distinctive. In fact, I like each for a different application with none being my favorite?

I don't think I'll be going back to the push-pull tone and three way switch or the Seymour Duncan p'ups that came on the guitar. In fact, I know that I won't. I plan to put the SD p'ups on my cheap Peavey AT200 which should greatly improve it's tone when I'm not running the modeling software in it. Then it just uses the individual piezo saddle pickups and bypasses the humbuckers, anyway.

The closer that I get it back to the original setup, the better it sounds and the easier that it plays. I've been 'fixing' one thing every day for more than a week and it just keeps getting better, every day. I'd like to take credit for it but all I'm doing is restoring it back to the way they engineered it to begin with. Even my wife (and she isn't into the subtleties of sound as much as I am) can hear the improvements so, it isn't just me saying this.

The rotary switch uses the identical 0-10 knob as the tone and volume but only using 6-10 settings ...

Position 10: Treble pickup
Position 9: Outside coils- deep and clear - parallel
Position 8: Series single coils – Warm version of the "in between the treble and middle pickups"
Position 7: Parallel single coils – Crisp version of the "in between the treble and middle pickups"
Position 6: Bass pickup

The wet/warmer sounds are quite mellow which blends nicely with other instruments while the crisp/dry sounds really cut through the mix in my recordings.

I'm still gradually setting the pole piece heights to balance each of the strings output. Numbers get you a good starting point but each one needs to be played and then fine tuned so that none overpowers the other strings.

The sustain on this guitar is crazy long so it rings seemingly forever.

Part of the remaining problems is that I need to replace the nut. The previous owner(s?) used heavier strings and didn't cut the nut properly ... it looks like it is still the original because of the way it sits into the finish. Five of the nut slots are perfect so, I've tried to 'fix' the one that is wrong and back cut/file it to eliminate the mid-nut hump that is reading the G-string. So far, so good but I can already tell I will want to make a new one in the future. It's a lot of work and I lack the proper tools to do it right. I will check with PRS Tech but I'm afraid it would be too costly to have them do it? We'll see.

Besides, nothing is ever totally perfect. That's just life!

Watch here and I will be posting links to some simple sound files from before and after the changes and you can hear the Dragon IIs with the rotary, yourself. Some time today or tomorrow, I think? Depending on how my day goes.

Cheers!

I don't know why but I can't get my photos to show? I posted them on Google photos (linked, below) and also on Flickr and neither link shows here? Try the link below to see if you can see them?

This includes photos of the reinstallation of the rotary switch, Dragon II pickup rings and p'ups and the new, real ebony wooden tuning knobs. The new nut, replacement logo, cleaner and polish should arrive this week and it should be finished soon after and I'll post audio clips after that.

photos
https://plus.google.com/photos?hl=en_US&pid=6062422207655876306&oid=117641750692902061888

Back