2 chanel 30 vs SE 30

danktat

Award winning tattoo artist ... Amateur guitarist
I am kind of confused here. . .Are these......

smngtrtw8cdlm9pvbagv.jpg

zbbhdk6qzhhbvkocoycz.jpg

The same as these........

stqisytryrnqycrqfge3.jpg

771011.jpg

I ask because the control layout on the front panel seems to be the same setup. And the back seems to also have the same layout. Seems like the same tube setup. And I zoomed in on one of those "2 channel 30" amps and saw it said "Made In China" on it. Also, a couple of those 2 channel 30s were advertised as "SE" amps, though it doesn't say thiat o

They aren't the same. The 2 Channel 30s were US-made at the PRS factory, using a boutique quality chassis, mil-spec boards, and great components. If memory serves, they were partially hand-wired. The SE 30 was US-designed, but made somewhere overseas, perhaps China. I can't speak to the quality of the chassis or components, 'cause I never looked inside one.

The SEs sound good for the dough.

The 2 Channel 30 is just a freakin' super-nice amp that sounds the business, and stands up with anything.

The US early amp line was good enough for Warren Haynes to tour with, and I think he used a Sweet 16 and a 30. He talks about them here:

Last edited:
They aren't the same. The 2 Channel 30s were US-made at the PRS factory, using a boutique quality chassis, mil-spec boards, and great components. If memory serves, they were partially hand-wired. The SE 30 was US-designed, but made somewhere overseas, perhaps China. I can't speak to the quality of the chassis or components, 'cause I never looked inside one.

The SEs sound good for the dough.

The 2 Channel 30 is just a freakin' super-nice amp that sounds the business, and stands up with anything.

The US early amp line was good enough for Warren Haynes to tour with, and I think he used a Sweet 16 and a 30. He talks about them here:

I was asking because this is the back of the 2 chan 30....notice, if it lets you zoom in, the top right corner of that back panel says "Made In China". that is why I was asking.

tmarhk41vzqegn5hzs90.jpg

And the front....

zbbhdk6qzhhbvkocoycz.jpg

Just to elaborate further - I had one of these (head version with matching 2x12, block graphic) and it was a pretty good amp. The only thing I disliked was that it could be overwhelmingly bassy. But in all other ways the tone was fantastic, good MV, good effects loop, excellent build quality. Much like the USA 2 channel H tone, except perhaps a little more modern sounding.

Part of the bass response in my case may have been the deep, closed back 2x12, in the 1x12 combo format that would probably be reduced.

I ultimately sold mine due to acquiring a Custom 50 head. Kept the cab, it’s killer. But the Custom 50 overlapped with, and in many ways eclipsed, the SE30. Still a good amp, but now that they’re all used, you could probably snag a Custom 50 or 20 for a good price too.

I was told the last 10-20 to leave the factory were using up US cabinets with the SE guts. I have both a 20 and a 30 that look to be US cosmetically. When I met Doug Sewell, he told me Paul did something to the last batch early one morning, and even he doesn’t know what. Only da man knows.

Back