Zach Myers SE QC issues

prsrocker1988

Anyone had any issues with QC on these instruments?

I was happily presented with one for Christmas, only to open the gig bag and find that it had super high action (fixable yes, but...), a nonworking bridge volume pot (fixable yes, but...), and rougher than normal fret ends (fixable yes, but...). I also saw some glue or goop around the frets that hadn't been cleaned off. That was the least of the problems and on it's own didn't bother me much. But when you couple it with the others, it's just one more area that points to poor QC of these guitars.

It's very disappointing to see the QC of SE's apparently don't match that of the S2, Core, and PS models. I'm not expecting a $600 something guitar to be at the level of a Core or even S2, but these are things that really affect playability (action, pot, and the rough fret ends) that shouldn't be a problem.

I have another SE from 2006, and I had to change the tuners and nut on it. First I changed the tuners and that didn't fix it, so I had to get a new nut. I was hoping they could have fixed the tuning issue too by now. I mean, a nut is not that expensive. And I don't need locking tuners, but I need it to be able to hold tune decently. My McCarty with Klusons doesn't seem to have a problem, so it's either binding in the nut or poor quality tuners. I've seen other posts that said the nut still needs work on the new SE models.

I'm sure my next one I get won't hopefully have the fret end and pot problem, but I'm already anticipating having to work with the tuners and/or nut. I have 0 repair skills, so that'll involve a trip to my tech and some $$.

I'm not trolling and I've been here long enough that I hope everyone understands I'm a diehard PRS fan and am not a hater in any way, I was just very disappointed to see this on my new guitar, and the tuning issues on SE's in general.

Musician's Friend is sending me a new guitar and when I get it I will post pics of course.

Last edited:
In my experience, the weak point of the SE range in general is the nut. Many of us replace the standard plastic nut with a Tusq or similar.

That said, other than the nut, I have always found the SE range to be of extraordinary quality, particularly when you take into account their price.

I have however heard of quite a few issues with the Zach Myers signature. I hope this doesn't become a trend with the SE range in general.

Wow, sorry to here about your problems. I bought mine recently from Sweetwater, and it was set up just about perfectly, and everything seems to work fine. It plays like a dream. Hopefully it was a just a fluke. The nut seems to be different than the previous ones on my SE, but I could be completely dipped. So far I haven't noticed any binding. The nut on my Bernie was pretty bad.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this.
Yes, some ZMs got past both QC in Korea and also at Maryland, but that was months ago.
I wonder if yours is older and had been sitting around from that bad batch that got through back then?

On the nut issue, I am not sure why PRS does not just use a Tusq one, several other guitars made by WMI including Chapman have a black Tusq nut installed.

I seem to have gotten a pretty decent ZM when they first came out, mine is even a late 2013 model.
I still had the tuners replaced though, and a Tone Pros lock down tail piece installed.

Musician's Friend is making this return a headache. First they call and say it's on backorder til March, and also they are going to give me less if I change to a different model (S2 Singlecut SH is what I had in mind)...

Time to shop with a place that cares more and checks stuff, like Sweetwater or Wildwood or something and stop supporting Guitar Center so much locally and also Musicians Friend online.

I bought mine when they first came out and didn't have any QC problems at all. I would not buy anything from MF, too many problems with their(new) inventory. I use Sweetwater and have never had a problem with them. Hope you get this sorted out soon. ENJOY!!!

Threads like these are a disappointment for me.

SEs get three final inspections before they reach a customer. The first is at World Music before they are shipped to Maryland. The second happens at PRS in Stevensville where every SE is unboxed, inspected and played before it is sent to a dealer. The third inspection (presumably) happens at the dealer before it is offered for sale. So, seeing a sub par product getting to a customer is quite disappointing for everyone.

SE nuts seem to be an ongoing problem. The vast majority of SE nuts are out there functioning just fine, as are all the nuts on the several SEs that I own. But, unquestionably, some SE nuts are problematic. Frequently it is due to the customer changing string gauge, but some nuts just aren't right from the start.

SE tuners aren't the same quality as US tuners, but likewise generally get the job done. It has been my experience that tuning stability issues should be addresses by looking at the nut first. I have had guitars with issues an a new, properly cut nut fixed every one of them ( none were SEs). A news nut is less expensive that a new set of tuners and frequently fixes LOTS of problems, including action height, buzzing, playability and sustain as well as tuning stability. So, why not start there?

I'd like to see PRS ship US nuts to World Music and kill this problem for good, but I know it would add to manufacturing cost. How much? I dunno. I don't ship large quantities of things to Korea.

But there would be a cost. Anyone who remembers the movie "Wheels" with Rock Hudson and Lee Remick (woof) would understand how even a small increase in marginal cost can have seemingly outsized consequences.

My other disappointment with this kind of thread is the tendency for people to make inflammatory, vitriolic generalizations based on the ONE or TWO examples they personally have in hand.

It's very disappointing to see the QC of SE's apparently don't match that of the S2, Core, and PS models.

I have another SE from 2006, and I had to change the tuners and nut on it. First I changed the tuners and that didn't fix it, so I had to get a new nut. I was hoping they could have fixed the tuning issue too by now. I mean, a nut is not that expensive. And I don't need locking tuners, but I need it to be able to hold tune decently. My McCarty with Klusons doesn't seem to have a problem, so it's either binding in the nut or poor quality tuners. I've seen other posts that said the nut still needs work on the new SE models.

I'm sure my next one I get won't hopefully have the fret end and pot problem, but I'm already anticipating having to work with the tuners and/or nut. I have 0 repair skills, so that'll involve a trip to my tech and some $$.

I sincerely hope the OP gets his problems fixed to his satisfaction, but condemning the entire line based on so few examples of problems just doesn't sit well with me.

YMMV

Well the PRS SE guitars are made by World Musical Instrument Co. which has some of the best QC I have seen from this price of a guitar... I used to have a PRS SE 22 and It was set up perfectly out of the box. Shame to hear about this. Hope it gets sorted out.

Austin, do you have a brick & mortar PRS dealer near you?
That is the only way I have bought all of my SEs and core PRS so far.

My dealer insists on doing his own setup on every guitar that comes in before it goes to a customer.
I had my dealer change out the stock SE tuners on all of them with Planet Waves AutoTrim locking tuners, and restring them with Ernie Ball Cobalts in 9 - 42 gauge.
The exception was the ZM which I had vintage style locking tuners and the TonePros locking tail piece and studs installed.

I know Sweetwater is suppose to check settings before they leave too, but several months back even they let go a big batch of ZMs that had issues with them according to a few threads here on ZM QC issues..
This is why I like dealing with a local dealer, much easier to return something and talk to them face to face if a problem should arise.
Shawn also had mentioned they were hiring more SE inspectors too for Maryland.

A sincere thanks to everyone that offered their help and kind words.

I'm sorry ruger for upsetting you but it's not just my two, I've heard plenty others complain of the same problem. Again, I'm sorry if it doesn't "sit well with you", but you can't please everybody in this day and age and my experiences count for something, I have to say. I wasn't trying to be inflammatory but I've had many other experiences with trying SE's with these sorts of problems. I wasn't condemning them and I certainly would try one again. YMMV. Perhaps if the ones you received weren't so great or if they had issues you wouldn't be so quick to say my thread was inflammatory and would be more sympathetic. Sorry if I'm being harsh, but that comment didn't sit well with me, either.

Anyone who got this particular guitar, let alone as a surprise on Christmas would be complaining of the QC and sorely disappointed, especially when others have had issues so it's a known problem. I never said SE's were bad guitars. I said that they seem to have QC issues with the Myers SE and that I wish tuning stability would be better on the whole line. I've played enough of them to know.

I have no doubt I probably got an older one that had been sitting around awhile.

Last edited:
Austin, do you have a brick & mortar PRS dealer near you?
That is the only way I have bought all of my SEs and core PRS so far.

My dealer insists on doing his own setup on every guitar that comes in before it goes to a customer.
I had my dealer change out the stock SE tuners on all of them with Planet Waves AutoTrim locking tuners, and restring them with Ernie Ball Cobalts in 9 - 42 gauge.
The exception was the ZM which I had vintage style locking tuners and the TonePros locking tail piece and studs installed.

I know Sweetwater is suppose to check settings before they leave too, but several months back even they let go a big batch of ZMs that had issues with them according to a few threads here on ZM QC issues..
This is why I like dealing with a local dealer, much easier to return something and talk to them face to face if a problem should arise.
Shawn also had mentioned they were hiring more SE inspectors too for Maryland.

Sadly no, I live out in the middle of nowhere unfortunately.

My SE Custom 22 got locking tuners and that didn't fix the problem, so the problem was the nut on that guitar.

Hey Austin! I don't know how far "the middle of nowhere" is from Chicagoland, but if MF are being MFers about it, I'll help you out if you need a setup and a new pot.

Hey Austin! I don't know how far "the middle of nowhere" is from Chicagoland, but if MF are being MFers about it, I'll help you out if you need a setup and a new pot.

Thanks so much for the offer, it means a lot to me. :)

I'm about 5 or so hours away from Chicago.

I finally got ahold of a team leader at MF this afternoon, and they are going to give me back full price on the ZM and are shipping out a S2 Singlecut Semi-hollow as I thought I would like that and I'm paying the difference between the models and the ZM is going back. I'm sure I just had one of the older models with poor QC and since they aren't available for an exchange until March, I went with the S2.

Sergio FTW, but don't let him near your car or a blue guitar.

Good luck getting your axe sorted. :rock:

Thanks so much for the offer, it means a lot to me. :)

I'm about 5 or so hours away from Chicago.

I finally got ahold of a team leader at MF this afternoon, and they are going to give me back full price on the ZM and are shipping out a S2 Singlecut Semi-hollow as I thought I would like that and I'm paying the difference between the models and the ZM is going back. I'm sure I just had one of the older models with poor QC and since they aren't available for an exchange until March, I went with the S2.

You're welcome, and in a way I'm glad I can't help... S2 SC Semi-hollow? Sounds Bangin'!!!!

My SE ZM arrived looking great, but it was the special order spalt top from Brian's Guitars. And my Christmas present, an SE 7-string, arrived in perfect condition from Sam Ash. And my MM SE Baritone arrived perfect back in the Spring, also from Sam Ash.

So YMMV, and I wouldn't be surprised in MF had old stock from earlier in the year, where there was seemingly a bad batch that slipped through all QA/QC.

Austin, that was very nice of Sergio to offer his help!
That is what I like about this place.

Glad MF is doing what they are doing to help you out.
And for what it is worth, I played a bone stock S2 Singlecut semi-hollow at my dealer when I put $$$ down for my SE Kingfisher bass or some other reason why I had stopped by in there.
I liked it much better than my Zach Myers, it just played better.
That was my only experience though with an S2.

Hi Austin - I think you're going to like your S2. I'm loving mine. I've said in the past that the ZM might be a better choice over the S2 Singlecut Semi, given the difference in price, but then again I'm the type that's used to working on my SE's to get them how I like them, swapping pickups, all that jazz. So if you want a rockin axe right out of the box, you're in good shape. On my S2, I've only adjusted the truss rod for seasonal changes, and dropped the neck pickup about to the level of the pickup ring, and then raised the pole screws on the treble side. That's a very small amount of work compared to what I'm used to!

Hope you have a much better experience with round 2!

Austin, did you miss the part where I said I sincerely hoped that your problems got fixed to your satisfaction?

I meant it and I'm glad that you are getting a good resolution.

What I objected to was this statement in particular: "It's very disappointing to see the QC of SE's apparently don't match that of the S2, Core, and PS models. " You didn't say just ZMs, the guitars in your experience or even the number you have heard bad things about, you indicted the entire line.

Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but readers only have what you actually write to go on.

The other problem is that you posted your list of faults before you had exhausted all the avenues open to you for an equitable resolution. I both agree and sympathize that receiving a new guitar with clear problems is upsetting, I just disagree with making the post condemning the QC department and your dealer before you were out of options.

This forum is different than other guitar-centric forums. It really is more like a community. There is no advertising and the members are eager to help one another. I feel as though you jumped the gun a bit posting your problem before you had even finished talking with your dealer.

The forum has so very few rules. It could be that I interpret the last rule differently than many other people here. It talks about Customer Service issues with PRS as inappropriate to the forum. Some may feel that that applies to issues that need addressing directly to PRS only. I interpret that to mean both issues with PRS and its authorized dealers.

What I'm saying is that I believe that members should keep their dealings with both PRS and their dealers private and work the system that is in place. The instances of either PRS or a dealer NOT making a problem right or at least offering a refund are so few that you have to search hard to find documentation.

Your problem is being resolved by your dealer. I do really hope it is to your satisfaction.

As for there being loads and loads of problems with SEs, I'll just paraphrase Winston Curchill: "Bad news travels around the world while good news is putting on its boots." The thousands and thousands of SEs that have no issues that are making their owners happy aren't newsworthy. But people are human and make mistakes. Those mistakes are frequently amplified into a hoard or trend or the norm even when they are in reality a very small fraction of what is really happening.

Neither PRS nor Musician's Friend deserved the black eye you gave them prior to the resolution you got in post 13.

I don't discount your experience, I just wish you had waited until your problems had been resolved or you were completely and absolutely out of options before you made your original post.

Last edited:
Back