Zach Myers SE 2015 vs. Custom 22 Semi hollow 2016

Paperman

Hi everyone!
Which one would you choose (both korean made) and why to play blues and classic rock?
Thank you,
Alberto

Both would be fine for that, the necks are probably similar.

The main difference is that the Zach is .5" shorter scale and has hotter pickups (as well as the 4-knob controls).

Hi everyone!
Which one would you choose (both korean made) and why to play blues and classic rock?
Thank you,
Alberto

Whichever one feels 'right' to you as 'both' will do the job - its just which one works and sounds best to you with your set up. Both are 'different' enough too to offer something 'different' from each other.

The ZM is a Singlecut style with a different position for the toggle switch on the top 'horn' and individual tone/volume pots more like a typical LP and of course, comes with the wrap around pre-intonated tailpiece bridge. Its also a 24.5" scale.

The SH Cu24 is a double cut guitar with a Tremolo bridge and master tone/volume and a blade switch on the bottom side and a thinner 'body' design and the standard 25" PRS scale length too.

Both will do Blues and classic rock, perhaps the ZM pups are 'better' but that's more my preference as you may prefer the Cu24. At the end of the day, the choice is yours, its your money, you that has to play them and 'live' with your decision. I don't know if you'd prefer one over the other, whether one (as you seem to have 2 'used' options you are considering) would suit you best, be the better purchase based on condition, price and/or any 'mods' etc done in the 7/8 yrs these particular guitars have been around for...

All I can suggest is that if you are 'undecided' and cannot try either before you commit to buying and certainly don't have the option to 'return' if its not quite what you hoped for, I'd go with the one that you think will suit you the 'best'. If you want/need a 'Trem' for example, then the Cu24 is the 'better' fit for you, want a SC with LP like layout and a stoptail, then go for the ZM!!

Thank you,
I will be going to try the guitars shortly, they are in the same store.
One question: from the pictures I received I noticed that the ZM pickups have the coating plate, but on the internet I always see the double pickup, black or zebra.... do you know if this option was possible from the factory or could they have been replaced?

Thank you,
One question: from the pictures I received I noticed that the ZM pickups have the coating plate, but on the internet I always see the double pickup, black or zebra.... do you know if this option was possible from the factory or could they have been replaced?
Replaced or covers added.

Thank you,

I'd imagine they are 'replaced' - not stock Pups in the ZM as its often an 'easy' mod and the perception is that its an 'upgrade' over using Pups wound overseas so also a more common mod to SE's. There are some people that talk about replacing 'SE' pups just because they are not 'Made in the US' and not as 'good' as US made PRS pups so therefore any other known brand of Pups would be an 'upgrade' over the Stock asian made PRS pups - and that's before they have even bought and/or played the guitar...

There are numerous threads of 'I'm thinking of buying 'X' PRS SE model, what Pups do you recommend?' so I would be more inclined to think that they are 'replaced' rather than be Covered 245 'S' pups - but without inspecting the guitar and its pick-ups, I am only speculating. That's maybe something you should particularly check out (or ask the retailer to check) when you go to the store!

I'd imagine they are 'replaced' - not stock Pups in the ZM as its often an 'easy' mod and the perception is that its an 'upgrade' over using Pups wound overseas so also a more common mod to SE's. There are some people that talk about replacing 'SE' pups just because they are not 'Made in the US' and not as 'good' as US made PRS pups so therefore any other known brand of Pups would be an 'upgrade' over the Stock asian made PRS pups - and that's before they have even bought and/or played the guitar...

There are numerous threads of 'I'm thinking of buying 'X' PRS SE model, what Pups do you recommend?' so I would be more inclined to think that they are 'replaced' rather than be Covered 245 'S' pups - but without inspecting the guitar and its pick-ups, I am only speculating. That's maybe something you should particularly check out (or ask the retailer to check) when you go to the store!
Agreed, and this is all a bummer b/c the stock 245-S pickups are great!

Duncan and DiMarzio and others did a great job in '80s and '90s convincing everyone that stock pickups == bad

I put covers on an SE 245 I had a few years back. It took about 15 minutes, and I liked the very minor change in the top end. I would tell you it doesn't matter either way, get the one you like the sound of better. Welcome, and do post pictures when you get the right guitar.

They will sound different. One not better than the other, just different. Biggest difference will be the neck profile and the feel of the guitars. Neck will feel a little longer on the Custom. The string tension will be a tad less on the Meyers. The neck is thicker as well as the body on the Meyers. The newer 22’s have the wide thin neck profile. I believe the older 22 semi-hollows had the wide thick like that of the Zach Meyers.

I have an SE245 and an S2 Custom 22 Semi-hollow which are very similar guitars except the 245 not being semi-hollow. Don’t prefer one over the other. If I had to choose one, it would be the Custom Semi-Hollow I guess. But I play that 245 a bunch.

Last edited:
Back