Will PRS ever make a 1 watt amp?

No. I'd bet money that a 1 watt amp never happens. PRS goes too far to make great "stage amps" to take all that time and investment, and drop a 1 watt power stage in it. I'd bet that the 15 watt Tremonti is the lowest wattage amp they ever do.

Most amps are overkill for 95% of what you are going to use them for. They always have to use an attenuator or master volume to get them down to useable levels. Back in the 60's they made these 100 watt amps to fill arenas with pa systems that were anemic. Now most are mic'd or they go to modeling to get a more controllable sound. I'd definitely be interested in a 1 watt, switchable to 1/2 and 1/4 watt with a great emulated output to hook up to a mixer.

Most amps are overkill for 95% of what you are going to use them for. They always have to use an attenuator or master volume to get them down to useable levels. Back in the 60's they made these 100 watt amps to fill arenas with pa systems that were anemic.

I'll disagree mildly just for the sake of discussion...

The 85 Watt Twins are an example of amps that long preceded the arena era; what they offered was headroom. Amps in the 85-100 Watt range have tighter bass due to transformer design, different damping factors to control speakers, and other audible specs. This shows up even at low volume.

Back in the 60s, famous bands played relatively small venues, not arenas, and you'd still find big iron amps everywhere, no master volume, no attenuator. I used them, saw many bands using them, as a kid during that time.

They had an interesting feature called a volume control. So did the guitars! ;)

As a teenager I used to see jazz greats in a small club called Baker's in Detroit; inevitably they used Twins for headroom and tone (I remember seeing Wes Montgomery there, among others). The acoustic bass, keys, and drums were not miked; they didn't have to be because the guitar wasn't loud at all.

Now, whether these are/aren't desirable for the given player amounts to personal choice, and there are certainly good reasons to go low-power. But big amps have their sonic advantages.

I use a 100 Watt Blackface style amp for clean tones in my studio for my ad work when I want high headroom and piano-like low notes. I don't crank it very loud, and I switch the master volume out of the circuit. I run it no louder than my 30 Watt amps; it's a tool used for a sonic purpose, and it's not used to fill an arena (my room is only 33x14'). This is but one example of an advantage of big iron, There are others.

The smallest amp I like to record with is around 20-30 Watts, for sonic reasons. Go below that and the low notes are usually mud. I like crisp. YMMV.

The point is that big-wattage amps sound different from small-wattage amps, and regardless of how loud you crank them, each has many uses. And both have advantages and disadvantages.

One thing I notice with touring bands in any genre is that the best ones play with great dynamics on big stages and small ones. Crappy bands don't know how to; but dynamics are important.

Last edited:
Back