Wife getting serious about bass guitar - amusing observations

shinksma

What? I get a title?
So my wife (whom some of you met at Experience 2018) is getting quite serious about learning bass guitar (vs just messing around with it while we jam/practice). So I bought her a "how to play bass" book with DVD and CD, and she's using "our" Kingfisher for her self-taught lessons. Good stuff!

So here are some interesting asides...

I know I would eventually like to get a GG-5, and she will use it too I am sure (get her to use it and learn 5-string as well before she settles into the habits of a four-string player), so I wondered whether she preferred maple or rosewood fretboards. I have a couple old beater "Fender-ish" clones, one with a maple FB, one with rosewood. (The one with maple has strings in just awful condition, but I never play it, so...)

As it turns out she prefers maple fretboards. Which I was kinda hoping for, so I now search for a GG-5 with maple FB to procure for her birthday or perhaps Christmas. And it must have a nice top, of course - wife has to play a pretty axe!

Earlier tonight, I was looking around the "second" music room (which started out as our pool table room beside our home "pub", but has now become the primary jam area for the band at our place; the other "primary" room has a drum kit, along with some guitars and a couple of amps, and a nice home theater set up) while she practiced a bit and was reading from her book, and I noted that all three basses were hanging out. And I had "only" three electric guitars out in that room. [And two acoustics, IIRC. Sshh.] I made sure to tell her, jokingly of course, that I now felt intimidated by "her" basses starting to possibly outnumber "my" electrics. She gave me raised eyebrows.

:p

Anyway, she then moved her practicing to the TV/family room (which recently has had only a couple instruments hanging on the wall), also moving in one of the bass amps and the Kingfisher, because she wanted to play along with the DVD from the instruction book. Music room #3 is now well established.

So the complete assimilation of the house into a giant toy box for musical instruments is no longer just my fault...

;)

:D

* I will note her collection and practice playing of percussion instruments has also meant things like bongos or bodhrans have migrated around the house to various rooms over time, so this is just a continuation of our habits. I mean, her habits!

**So...when is PRS gonna release a bass amp? Something in the SE line might be appropriate.

So I met my wife where we worked together, and I was her superior (if that's even the PC word for that any more) (Restaurant mgr./wait staff)...and after that, she said we shouldn't work together again...and I TOTALLY get that!!!!!
So I'm sure mine would have to be the "Ritchie Blackmore" of the group. And besides, she sends me downstairs to play when my day isn't going well...So WHY in the world would I want that. LOLOL.
Just messin'...Congrats, Shinksma...enjoy the additional time together!!!!!! Every once in a while, she'll stand outside the music room door,
and step in to tell me when she likes something she hears, so jamming together must be a great feeling, indeed. Enjoy!!!

So I met my wife where we worked together, and I was her superior (if that's even the PC word for that any more) (Restaurant mgr./wait staff)...and after that, she said we shouldn't work together again...and I TOTALLY get that!!!!!
So I'm sure mine would have to be the "Ritchie Blackmore" of the group. And besides, she sends me downstairs to play when my day isn't going well...So WHY in the world would I want that. LOLOL.
Just messin'...Congrats, Shinksma...enjoy the additional time together!!!!!! Every once in a while, she'll stand outside the music room door,
and step in to tell me when she likes something she hears, so jamming together must be a great feeling, indeed. Enjoy!!!

HA! I met my wife when I was in college and I was working part time at K-Mart. She was an Assistant Store Manager. She likes to remind me that she was my boss then, and she still is now.....30 years later! So, yeah, I slept with the boss.

So my wife (whom some of you met at Experience 2018) is getting quite serious about learning bass guitar (vs just messing around with it while we jam/practice). So I bought her a "how to play bass" book with DVD and CD, and she's using "our" Kingfisher for her self-taught lessons. Good stuff!

So here are some interesting asides...

I know I would eventually like to get a GG-5, and she will use it too I am sure (get her to use it and learn 5-string as well before she settles into the habits of a four-string player), so I wondered whether she preferred maple or rosewood fretboards. I have a couple old beater "Fender-ish" clones, one with a maple FB, one with rosewood. (The one with maple has strings in just awful condition, but I never play it, so...)

As it turns out she prefers maple fretboards. Which I was kinda hoping for, so I now search for a GG-5 with maple FB to procure for her birthday or perhaps Christmas. And it must have a nice top, of course - wife has to play a pretty axe!

Earlier tonight, I was looking around the "second" music room (which started out as our pool table room beside our home "pub", but has now become the primary jam area for the band at our place; the other "primary" room has a drum kit, along with some guitars and a couple of amps, and a nice home theater set up) while she practiced a bit and was reading from her book, and I noted that all three basses were hanging out. And I had "only" three electric guitars out in that room. [And two acoustics, IIRC. Sshh.] I made sure to tell her, jokingly of course, that I now felt intimidated by "her" basses starting to possibly outnumber "my" electrics. She gave me raised eyebrows.

:p

Anyway, she then moved her practicing to the TV/family room (which recently has had only a couple instruments hanging on the wall), also moving in one of the bass amps and the Kingfisher, because she wanted to play along with the DVD from the instruction book. Music room #3 is now well established.

So the complete assimilation of the house into a giant toy box for musical instruments is no longer just my fault...

;)

:D

* I will note her collection and practice playing of percussion instruments has also meant things like bongos or bodhrans have migrated around the house to various rooms over time, so this is just a continuation of our habits. I mean, her habits!

**So...when is PRS gonna release a bass amp? Something in the SE line might be appropriate.

Too. Cool.

Hey, I met my wife in 1996 when a mutual friend was putting a band together. He asked her to play bass and me to play guitar. I said, "A chick bass player? And she's single? I'm going to hit on her." Here it is 22 years later, we're still playing in bands together. Highly recommended, A+, would marry again.

I was thinking about mounting this spare baritone conversion neck I have on a bass body, so I was talking to my wife about it asking if I could borrow one of her basses she hasn't played in a long time to take apart and mount my neck on so I could get measurements and stuff for an eventual build or whatever. She said she forgot she owned that bass still and I could have the body and do whatever I want with it. :D She has more basses than I have guitars, because she hates selling them, and only ever plays 2 or 3. There are at least 3 more in cases in the closet that haven't seen fresh air in 5+ years.

Here we are singing about slow roasted pork. that's her USA Lakland bass. If you've never played a Lakland, I would expect one of the PRS Private Stock basses to be on par with this bass.
30704538_1844201572304560_8103171508664270848_o.jpg

Back