Why so few McCarty Soapbars with trems?

H2-DGT

Looking around but seem to be near-impossible to find. Thanks!

McCarty trems are unusual. McCarty Soapbars are unusual. The combination is even more unusual.

I’ve had a couple of McCarty Soapbars, and there wasn’t an option for a trem when I bought either one. There may have been briefly at some point, or with a dealer run, but I’ve never seen one.

Maybe someone here has one they might show off!

eBay in Japan always seems to have some for sale, and they ship to the US very regularly. It seems that a run of them went there.

I've seen them listed from Japan as well. No idea what kind of mess one could get in to buying from Japan.

Even harde to find McSoapie Trem with birds.

There was a moons version on eBay this week.

I have a buddy with a whale blue with moons.

Just missed out on an employee McSoapie Trem with birds on a rosewood board and maple neck. That was probably 1999-2000 or just after.

eBay in Japan always seems to have some for sale, and they ship to the US very regularly. It seems that a run of them went there.
Years ago, A Japanese friend helped me get a D'Aquisto from Japan. It was/is the most beautiful guitar I ever held. It went very early in the separation and divorce. I made a lot of mortgage payments with the money. As a culture, the Japanese admire excellence (PRS). I bet the guitar would arrive beautifully, like mine did.

If you find one, it was most likely made in 1999. Most players prefer humbuckers so they didn't make too many with soapbars. The trem option was usually custom ordered, so McCarty's with trems are extremely rare. So the combination of both are nearly non-existent. Don't bother routing out a McSoapy either, because the neck angle is different.

Found a pic...

McSoapieTrem.JPG

I've seen them listed from Japan as well. No idea what kind of mess one could get in to buying from Japan.

Buying from a reputable dealer I don't see any problems. Also, I gather the Japanese tend to be fussy about condition and quality (all that Yamano blah blah if you follow such things) so it'd likely be a good example. Have to say though, I don't see soapy McTrems anywhere but my guitar room... ;-)

DGT nut width is slightly narrower, different fretwire, neck shape, pickups, and different layout of knobs. I believe the body thickness is the same though.

McCarty trems are unusual. McCarty Soapbars are unusual. The combination is even more unusual.

I’ve had a couple of McCarty Soapbars, and there wasn’t an option for a trem when I bought either one. There may have been briefly at some point, or with a dealer run, but I’ve never seen one.

Maybe someone here has one they might show off!
Believe there's less than 10. Someone had the answer back in the old birds and moons days.

My friend Peter had a black one, really cool (he was a bammer too Les, he held all the local jams in the plane hanger if you remember the threads). It was a stunning combination for sure.

You could get close with a nice CU22 trem and some of those bucker size P90s.
As I recall Carl had a CuRo22 goldtop with Harmonic Design pickups, but Phat cats from Duncan would do it too.

Back