Who blocks off trems?

Do you disable trems?

• Total voters
I'm sure everyone knows this, but decking the trem changes the tone and adds more bottom end as Mayer said and many have said before him. I can hardly play a strat without decking the trem. Makes them sound fuller, allows for drop D on the fly, tuning down a half to play your favorite Hendrix and Trower tunes, and, you don't have to drop out of a song if you break a string.

I really wonder how a couple of my PRS guitars would sound with a blocked term. Down only is fine for MOST of my guitars. I know it should make them fuller, plus the other above mentioned advantages. I've thought about it often, but never done it with a PRS. My strats are all decked and the Wolfgang comes set up that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure everyone knows this, but decking the trem changes the tone and adds more bottom end as Mayer said and many have said before him. I can hardly play a strat without decking the trem. Makes them sound fuller, allows for drop D on the fly, tuning down a half to play your favorite Hendrix and Trower tunes, and, you don't have to drop of of a song if you break a string.

I really wonder how a couple of my PRS guitars would sound with a bock. Down only is fine for MOST of my guitars. I know it should make them fuller, plus the other above mentioned advantages. I've thought about it often, but never done it with a PRS. My strats are all decked and the Wolfgang comes set up that way.

The used SA 513 I bought had the trem decked. That thing screams, and is a joy to play. I left it that way.

A really stable trem design is one of the things that first attracted me to PRS guitars. I love the stability of my trem-equipped PRS guitars.

I leave them floating, and unblocked. I don't use a whole lot of trem, but tuning stability isn't an issue, so they stay that way. Many moons ago I had a Fender Clapton. That was blocked from the factory with a small piece of wood, just like Clapton's are.

I had one of those too... one of the few guitar necks I absolutely hated; that carve with those vintage frets just made me want to scream... I couldn't get rid of it fast enough...

The PRS term working so well is the only thing that’s kept me from blocking one or more. They work so well, it’s hard to mess with them. But I find it ironic that more people haven’t tried this since so many people seem to be looking for LP tone in a PRS, because it will add some fuller low mid tone.

Back