Which PRS next?

Mewcenary

Hi there,

I recently picked up a 2012 PRS Custom 24 SE which I love. I originally went into the shop to get another Ibanez, but decided to try something new, and found the PRS! I love the 24 frets, humbucker sound (warm yet can rock!) and the push/pull tone variety with the coil splitting. Plus, of course, the guitar looks gorgeous.

I would like to get another PRS from the SE line, and am open to recommendations as to what to try. Bearing in mind I like having tonal variety (where possible) and 24 frets as a starting point, what should I be looking at?

(The PRS Torero is on my list but am 'worried' about the EMGs really...)

Not 24 fret, but 22. I love my new singlecut trem. I think they are worth checking out. It has the W/F neck carve, and not the W/T though if that makes a difference.

Not 24 fret, but 22. I love my new singlecut trem. I think they are worth checking out. It has the W/F neck carve, and not the W/T though if that makes a difference.
Thanks for the reply. How does that stack up against the Tremonti Custom?

My next guitar after my 2012 SE Custom 24 was the new SE Tremonti Custom.
25" scale like the Custom 24, but 22 frets.

Thick sustaining body, and very nice to play.
Give it a look over at your shop if they have it.
I ordered mine sight unseen except for pics from the net, and I am very happy with it.
http://prsguitars.com/setremonticustom/

Last edited by a moderator:
Corey, thanks for that. Looks very nice but am curious as to the differences between that and the Singlecut Trem?

You should give a try to the PRS SE Orianthi. 24 frets, awesome sound and pull/push too. Or probably the PRS SE Tim Mahoney.

As far as physical differences the Tremonti is set up more like a Gibson, pup selector at the top, and volume and tone knob for each pup, where as the Singlecut Trem has the pup selector near the knobs, with a single volume and tone, as far as electrical differences I dont know, as I havent played a Tremonti

If you're looking for something different, try one with soapbar pickups. You can thank me later. :)

As per my thread on here now, I did get a Tremonti Custom and love it :) Certainly a different sound and feel to the Custom 24. Really dark and heavy... in a good way, of course!

I tried the SE 145 at the same time. That plays and sounds great too and just is superbly balanced... hard to explain it really. The stoptail probably contributes to the lovely feel of it. However, it was the trem of the Tremonti that sold it.... I love trems on a guitar. Close though....

What's next ?!

(Torero still tempting even if it would be stupid given I have an Ibanez JEM !!!)

Back