What's your favorite instrument cable?

So are all the PRS cables available in the PRS store or better to go through a dealer?

Brian Catron said:
I am sure this is a silly question for most of you, but when using any sort of pedal board don't you lose some or all the benefit of fine cables unless every cable and connection is of the highest quality? What about the circuitry effect within any stompboxes? I have only seen Paul play through a single cable straight into the amp.

Yep. Don't skimp on the pedalboard cables. I use George L's for that very reason. As for signal degradation at the pedal, you have to choose effects wisely. ;)

Boogie said:
Brian Catron said:
I am sure this is a silly question for most of you, but when using any sort of pedal board don't you lose some or all the benefit of fine cables unless every cable and connection is of the highest quality? What about the circuitry effect within any stompboxes? I have only seen Paul play through a single cable straight into the amp.

Yep. Don't skimp on the pedalboard cables. I use George L's for that very reason. As for signal degradation at the pedal, you have to choose effects wisely. ;)
Why choose at all? :lol:

PedalBoard.jpg

LSchefman said:
The A-B Box is fairly likely to eliminate some or all of the differences between the cables, since it adds its own resistance and capacitance. I'd simply do one at a time.

and of course I had a brain fade, where exactly was I going to plug the second cable into...?

To be honest I couldn't spot the difference, and I don't think I would be able to without recording takes and playing them one after the other, repeatedly. I didn't use crap before so I guess it's not surprising I couldn't pick the difference, especially with a large gap between unplugging/plugging back in

I'm happy that the cable is slinky and the connectors/construction is top notch. I have a weekend of gigs coming up so will be a good chance to give them (and the CU22 Soapy) a work out!

Hans said:
Boogie said:
Brian Catron said:

Why choose at all? :lol:

PedalBoard.jpg

Boss Klones.

Brian Catron said:

Signal is only as strong as the weakest link. I've seen guys rock up at a gig with bigassed pedal boards, PRS, mesa and cheap £2 patch cables for the board. I was like WTF?? :eek:

I was like that once too and I replaced all my patch cables with neutriks and van damme cable. The improvement was to me noticeable (and I have hearing aids!). That's why i've started to make all my own cables using van damme and neutriks. My main guitar lead also has a neutrik silent on it as I tend to switch guitars in sets as I can't stay away from weird tunings....

You know, i'm pretty sure that board is how the train the cast of riverdance..... :lol:

Used George L's for years, great cable, still use it on my pedal board. Recently, I have bought several PRS cables and I like them because they have a nice pure tone to them, just the right amount of highs and lows and they are quiet. Never tried the Lava or other high end cables but you can tell a difference if you plug a well made cable straight into a amp, the first time I tried the George L's I was amazed at the clarity of my pickups and the definition the notes conveyed.

Anyone try Asterope? Saw a video with Dave Grissom, looks like he formally endorses them.

$179 for a 20' cable does indeed rank as pricey...but if they're that good...

My favorite cable I have is the one that has, "Stolen from the Bottletones" printed on it.
I am not, and never was, in the Bottletones.

Pretty much make all my own using Canare gs-6 or mini gs-6. Been doing this for about 10 years just so I can make my cable runs to the length they need to be. I've been meaning to make a few mogami to see if I can hear any difference. I may buy a PRS cable just to check it out. I would guess Paul and Dave's ears are pretty trust worthy, but, cables are just like everything else guitar....all a matter of taste.

Shawn@PRS said:
PRS does offer instrument, speaker and patch cables. Our cables are made for us in the UK by a company called Van Damme. They are a big player in the recording and live music industry. In fact Van Damme recently re-wired Abbey Road Studio B (the Beatles studio) and David Gilmore’s personal floating studio on the Thames with the exact same wire they supply for our cables.

Now I could try to impress you with information about double-annealed oxygen free copper and silver-plated elements, but I’d prefer to let your ears guide you. If both Gilmore and Paul Smith think these are the best sounding cables in the business, I think we may be on to something.

Gilmour and Paul know their suff so if they put there names to Van Damme then i'd certainly give them a try once I get back to playing live.

Got to give a thumbs up to Planet Waves Custom Series cables. Very reasonably priced and haven't let me down in the 4 years i've owned them!

I received my PRS guitar cable today from NE Music center. It is one of the most flexible cables Ive ever seen. Top quality Neutrik connectors used. I played for only 5 minutes and yes it sounds good... but honestly I'm one that cant really hear any difference between good cables. I have a couple of good quality cables of different brands and the PRS is the most flexible and seems to be the thinest. The only addtional I would like is PRS to offer Neutrik silent connectors to.

Ke3ee said:
The only addtional I would like is PRS to offer Neutrik silent connectors to.

Hi Ke3ee, PRS Cables are available with either silent or standard connectors in either straight or right angle.

connectors.jpg

Ke3ee said:
The only addtional I would like is PRS to offer Neutrik silent connectors to.

PRS already offers their cables with silent jacks.

That being said I am currently in three camps with my cable choices. I now use Armor Gold, Fulltone and PRS/Van Damme cables live, home and in the studio. They all sound good to my ears granted I never actually tested them all out against each other. That being said in live situations I tend to lean towards my AG cable on a darker stage that I know people will be moving around a lot on. It's easier to see in low light situations so people don't go yanking cables out of guitars and amps when scurrying by. On a stage where there is a bit more light or I know I will be switching guitars often I use my PRS/Van Damme cable since it has the silent jack and I don't have to worry about hitting my tuner every time I swap out guitars.

Canare GS-6 with Neutrik connectors are great bang-for-the-buck cables.

The little silver tab gets pushed in as you plug the connector into your guitars jack. The tab makes connection and allows signal to travel to the amp head. Once you remove the connector and that silver tabs springs back to the normal position, the signal is cut off and no humming, crackling or popping will come from the cable or amp

I made a couple of cables using the silent connectors last fall, they work outstanding. A bit expensive at around $12 each but well worth it.

Back