What was the best thing you did for your musical experience?

I've never committed to a looper. There's one built into the Kemper and I should use it!
I too have looperphobia! My Axe FXIII also has one built in (as does my Boss VE8 which I have not used since getting the Axe in Dec), but I feel like it is cheating for me and what I am trying to do (one man band, so what could be better than a looper, right)!! I want to keep things as real time as possible and if I wanted loops, why not just play a background track!!! It is a VERY cool tool and I just viewed a Trey Anastasio video about his 2021 tour rig recently where he employs looping to a high degree, but I am still fighting it's adoption!!!! I am pretty sure I will eventually lose!!!!! My current next step is building some shoes with motion sensors for percussion/drum triggering! It is nothing new and there is some awesome technology available off the shelf, but mine will be a little different from anything I have seen (of course, I could use a looper and make my life a hell of a lot easier using products I already own)!

I too have looperphobia! My Axe FXIII also has one built in (as does my Boss VE8 which I have not used since getting the Axe in Dec), but I feel like it is cheating for me and what I am trying to do (one man band, so what could be better than a looper, right)!! I want to keep things as real time as possible and if I wanted loops, why not just play a background track!!! It is a VERY cool tool and I just viewed a Trey Anastasio video about his 2021 tour rig recently where he employs looping to a high degree, but I am still fighting it's adoption!!!! I am pretty sure I will eventually lose!!!!! My current next step is building some shoes with motion sensors for percussion/drum triggering! It is nothing new and there is some awesome technology available off the shelf, but mine will be a little different from anything I have seen (of course, I could use a looper and make my life a hell of a lot easier using products I already own)!

I definitely get where you're coming from. For me, I only play out at open mic night. Nobody is paying me, so I feel comfortable enough 'cheating' and using a looper to make the music I want, especially so that I can play solos.

But if I ever start playing bars or whatever and getting paid, I'll have to find a friend to play with me. I'd feel too weird about using a looper, or worse yet a backing track.

I once saw someone performing a solo gig with a backing track and a harmonizer on the vocals. I guess it sounded decent, but I didn't feel like I was really watching someone performing.

Back