What model is the REALLY thick bodied hollow double F hole PRS?

Tag

I have played most PRS guitars, but there is one I do not think I have played. It looks like a Hollowbody, but the body apprears MUCH thicker. When you walk in the front door at the PRS building, there is one with an Eagle statue right there. (Not sure if its a real guitar or just a carving) but that has the body thickness of the model i am talking about. I have also seen a few in the PS fridy thread I believe, but its to hard to find it with all of those pics. Thanks in advance for the help!

The archtop?

I think this is the side view of it. Not 100% sure though.

th

I have played most PRS guitars, but there is one I do not think I have played. It looks like a Hollowbody, but the body apprears MUCH thicker. When you walk in the front door at the PRS building, there is one with an Eagle statue right there. (Not sure if its a real guitar or just a carving) but that has the body thickness of the model i am talking about. I have also seen a few in the PS fridy thread I believe, but its to hard to find it with all of those pics. Thanks in advance for the help!

I think the model you are referring to was the Archtop model.

Thats it! Thanks guys, and thanks to the link to that other thread! I DO think I have played them now. They came with either a Spruce or Maple top. I think Mandolin brothers had both years ago. Not 100%sure though. Did Hollowbodies come with a Spruce top as well? I do not remember the ones I played being that thick, but it was a long time ago.

Anytime :)
They did make a spruce hollowbody, it's one of my dream planks.

If you want to hear a spruce archtop in action listen to some old incubus, the morning view album is just chilled out vibes with great tone

Here's the model history, shows the different depths of the hollow bodies:

McCARTY HOLLOWBODY: 1998 - Current. Hollowbody - carved spruce top with carved mahogany back and sides. Hollowbody I - carved maple top with carved mahogany back and sides. Hollowbody II - carved maple top and back with mahogany sides. All models are 1 3/4" depth at rim, 3" depth at bridge, 22-fret wide-fat mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, PRS adjustable stoptail bridge, and McCarty Archtop pickups with 3-way toggle. Piezo bridge pickup option added in 1999.

McCARTY ARCHTOP: 1998 - 2001. Archtop - carved spruce top, carved mahogany back and sides. Archtop I - carved maple top with carved mahogany back and sides, Archtop II - carved maple top and back with mahogany sides and rosewood headstock veneer. All models are 2 3/4" depth at rim, 4" depth at bridge, 22-fret wide-fat mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, PRS adjustable stoptail bridge, and McCarty Archtop pickups with 3-way toggle. Piezo bridge pickup option added in 1999.

McCARTY ARCHTOP ARTIST: 1998 - 2001. Specs similar to Archtop II, but with artist grade figured maple top and back, Brazilian rosewood fretboard, abalone bird inlays with 14k gold outline. Each guitar numbered on back of headstock. Click here for a picture of a McCarty Archtop Artist.

ARCHTOP: 2002 - 2004. Carved spruce top, carved artist grade maple back with carved mahogany sides. 2 3/4" depth at rim, 4" depth at bridge, 22-fret wide-fat mahogany neck, Brazilian rosewood fretboard and headstock veneer, Paua birds and signature, PRS adjustable piezo stoptail bridge, gold hardware, and McCarty Archtop pickups with 3-way toggle and piezo electronics. Click here for a picture of an Archtop.

And there was another limited release of the spruce Archtop a few years go called the 'Archtop Jazz'. Came with Archtop pickups, piezo, and a very sweet suede case, and mine is one of my all time favorites of any guitar I've owned. IMO, the Archtop model in spruce was a perfect guitar. Great, woofy HB tones that can rival much bigger body jazz boxes but with great clarity and response, and the Archtop pickups never had a better home than on that particular model.

That SCJ Thinline is so sweet!

I'd love to base a PS build on one, with a few minor (ok I dunno if they're minor but wtf) modifications.

Have you played the SCJ Thinline?

View attachment 1368

Much bigger than the regular HB…

View attachment 1369

Damn those are two sweet guitars. Wow. They look brand new..... I owned an SCJ! Loved it! I cant remember why I sold it, but Im sure it was to fund another guitar purchase, probably one of my PSs. I need to try one of those thick archtops again with a spruce top, and the new Paul Jackson jr model. (Cant remember the name of it right now) The crazy thing is that I always found the Artist 3 semi hollow trems to sound more archtop like than the PRS archtops. I need to try those big fats ones again though as well as the Paul Jackson.
(Then again, maybe I dont.)

Thanks for all the great info, you guys rule!

Back