What makes PRS a 5000$ guitar?

For me the PRS are priced correctly at $5k. They are priced along side Gibson and Fender custom shop while being a better guitar build in many ways. This makes older used PRS guitars a bargain in my eyes. I think back then when OP might've bought a $3300 Fender custom shop...the cores were probably close to that price. Since all the custom shop level guitars across all brands are getting to that +$5k threshold new nowadays, PRS is in line with the market.

I don't think, the price should be taken as the core criteria to assess a guitar being more worth to own or as a comparison among other models and brands.
The core question - my pov - is in terms of PRS: what are actual unique selling points?
In terms of wood (extraordinary stain), consider German luthiers Nik Huber or Frank Hartung or Teuffel or Siggi Braun. But aswell Kiesel or Mayones for example.
On the other hand side: Huber guitars for example orientate on common role models (especially Gibson).
And PRS does, too, since a few years: 594 (The SC or Tremonti do have different scales), the Silver Sky, now the NF53 or Myles Kennedy. Maybe they offer a better craftmanship than the originals, and maybe PRS wanted to fulfill customers demands of getting those LP, Strat, Tele in the costume of a PRS (with their approach of the perfect musicians gear).
Implizit mentioned there are a lot of manufacturers dealing with "copies" of rolemodels: Tom Anderson, Friedman and so on. If the brand itself doesn't count, maybe their product is more worthwhile.
Therefore I recommend you to have better a look on PRS unique models: Santana, Custom 22 or 24, Tremonti, DGT, Modern Eagle etc. Or discontinued ones like Brent Mason, 305, 513. Those guitars you won't find in the model stock of others.

Last edited:
Just checking in here (haven't even read the thread yet, but I can't wait to)... because I have the same sentiments. My DGT is without a doubt one of th finest, if not THE finest, instrument I have ever played (not just owned), but I have never thought is was WORTH $5000. I paid it, because I had it, but IDK man....

On the other hand, I feel much better about the $3000 I spent on my EBMM Luke III. Not sure it's WORTH $3000, but it's every bit the guitar the DGT is, in every way, and alot cheaper. (not comparing the guitars for "better", just saying it's possible to make a top-tier guitar for alot less than $5000).

Now I'll go read the thread LOL.

PS: I still play my old 1993 Fender American Standard tele ($699 new) most of the time.

Just checking in here (haven't even read the thread yet, but I can't wait to)... because I have the same sentiments. My DGT is without a doubt one of th finest, if not THE finest, instrument I have ever played (not just owned), but I have never thought is was WORTH $5000. I paid it, because I had it, but IDK man....

On the other hand, I feel much better about the $3000 I spent on my EBMM Luke III. Not sure it's WORTH $3000, but it's every bit the guitar the DGT is, in every way, and alot cheaper. (not comparing the guitars for "better", just saying it's possible to make a top-tier guitar for alot less than $5000).

Now I'll go read the thread LOL.

PS: I still play my old 1993 Fender American Standard tele ($699 new) most of the time.
I have a '93 American Standard Strat...it was $550 new.

Thank you all. I read all of your comments and I cant reply to each lol. Some insights here.

So yeah, they worth the 5000$ but 5000$ is not necessary to spend to get a good guitar.

I hate how Gibson build their LPs. Nibs on the frets, overall quality, headstock, etc... mccarty 594 seems like a comfortable place to play humbuckers. Great build, Great necks, Nitro (is very important fot me).

And for those who asked, I bought my CS for 3000$+- in 2018. Everytime I play it I'm like... do I really need another guitar? Because its so clean, crisp, and amazingly built, yet, no humbuckers. (But I can still play Jazz and Hard Rock with it and be satisfied).

And about the imperfections I noticed on the core 594 I played at the store:
Things related to aesthetics such as spillage of paint in places where it is not supposed to, a little spillage on the binding of the neck, etc, and a bad set up, which makes the guitar harder to play but this is the store's fault. Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist, and maybe it's legitimate to be one when looking for a $5000 guitar.

Anyway, you can keep on commenting here. Your insights help me and probably others. Have a great day yall, thanks.

Inflation. Always best to buy a guitar when you can afford it. It will likely cost more years down the road. I think I wrote something to this effect back in 2018 :)
I would add to this to not compromise in your purchase when you make it. I have found for me that spending the extra money for the 10 top is worth it. I have one PRS that is a non 10 top. I really like the guitar for how it plays and sounds. However, when I look at it I really wish I had just spent a little more and got the full package of looks with it too.

My wife even knows this about me. When I bought my P22 Trem, I had it narrowed down to 2 guitars. This seems to be a pattern with me. When I am trying to decide I show my wife the pictures and ask her which one she likes better. When I did that with the P22 Trem she told me to buy the more expensive one because it is a 10 top. I have had no regrets with that guitar and am happy she told me to do that. I did the same with the PRS Stuido I bought last fall. That one was really the difference between two colors. They were both 10 tops. I am very happy with the one my wife liked. I was leaning in that direction anyway and her thought was just a confirmation for me. I would gladly pay a few hundred now to make the one non 10 top I have into a 10 top if it were possible.

They are priced along side Gibson and Fender custom shop while being a better guitar build in many ways.

I'd say the Fender and Gibsons are overpriced, when compared to the PRS 5grand core models. And yes, even Custom Shops. I do think 5K is too much for pretty much any solid body guitar (especially one made by CNC machines), but at least they are pretty much perfect out of the box. Fender CS can be hit-or-miss, and Gibson is all over the place. I couldn't imagine paying 5K for a Fender or Gibson CS, but did pay 5K for a PRS core (DGT. Not even custom shop).

I'd say the Fender and Gibsons are overpriced, when compared to the PRS 5grand core models. And yes, even Custom Shops. I do think 5K is too much for pretty much any solid body guitar (especially one made by CNC machines), but at least they are pretty much perfect out of the box. Fender CS can be hit-or-miss, and Gibson is all over the place. I couldn't imagine paying 5K for a Fender or Gibson CS, but did pay 5K for a PRS core (DGT. Not even custom shop).
Ah, this is another point I was going to make.

When I look at other brands and I see a bolt on strat copy being priced at 6k, the first thing that goes through my mind is why in the world would I pay that for a guitar like that when I can buy a PRS for less money. There is much better materials in the PRS and much more craftsmanship. I can't understand why someone would pay that much money for a strat. Heck, I can't see how any of those strat copies are even worth 3k.

For me it is about what I am getting for the money. I know and understand what goes into building a guitar and what hardware costs are. Sometimes the math just doesn't add up. PRS seems to be the standard for me. I tend to compare every guitar I look at against what PRS offers for the price. In doing that, I can pretty easily see the value PRS offers.

I would add to this to not compromise in your purchase when you make it. I have found for me that spending the extra money for the 10 top is worth it. I have one PRS that is a non 10 top. I really like the guitar for how it plays and sounds. However, when I look at it I really wish I had just spent a little more and got the full package of looks with it too.

My wife even knows this about me. When I bought my P22 Trem, I had it narrowed down to 2 guitars. This seems to be a pattern with me. When I am trying to decide I show my wife the pictures and ask her which one she likes better. When I did that with the P22 Trem she told me to buy the more expensive one because it is a 10 top. I have had no regrets with that guitar and am happy she told me to do that. I did the same with the PRS Stuido I bought last fall. That one was really the difference between two colors. They were both 10 tops. I am very happy with the one my wife liked. I was leaning in that direction anyway and her thought was just a confirmation for me. I would gladly pay a few hundred now to make the one non 10 top I have into a 10 top if it were possible.

I don't own a 10-top personally and I love the tops on my guitars - all 'unique'

From the 1-piece top/back on my HBii....
hH2MVYV.jpg

and my Chevron style Custom 24...
90ar3Kw.jpg

to my Special with its mix of Flame and Grain
c28uC1I.jpg

I really don't feel like I am missing out by not having a little 10 on the back of the headstock. I much prefer these to 10-tops that look like someone used a ruler to draw on very even straight 'flame' across the top - although I do tend to prefer Quilt which you don't often see on regular Core.

From my perspective, that is what I consider more of a 'Cosmetic' upgrade - like paying more to have Metallic paint on your car but doesn't make it drive, perform, or feel any different. I don't begrudge anyone paying more to have a Top that they really love the look of above others but I also think that is a personal choice. Someone 'decided' that piece of Maple looked better in their opinion so graded it higher, but you may 'prefer' the look of a non 10-top once its finished in a colour you love...

Back