What are the lead times for production of PRS Core Custom 24-08 ?

PierreRien

I have ordered my guitar back in November 2022 (at Thomann.de) with delivery expected in April 2023. Since then, it's only slipping every month and now I have no clue when it's finally going to happen - the last postponement is from the beginning of August to November 2023.

I want to understand what is behind this significant delay and get some idea how long it might take.

What is you experience?
Do you have any idea why the PRS is unable to meet their promised deadlines?

Thanks for your insights!

I have ordered my guitar back in November 2022 (at Thomann.de) with delivery expected in April 2023. Since then, it's only slipping every month and now I have no clue when it's finally going to happen - the last postponement is from the beginning of August to November 2023.

I want to understand what is behind this significant delay and get some idea how long it might take.

What is you experience?

They don't promise deadlines. They make an estimate, and sometimes there are backlogs, new models, lots of things that slow the process down.

You're much better off simply buying from dealer stock if you don't want to wait forever.

I speak as someone who special-ordered for many years, including Private Stock. It's a long wait. Now I buy from dealer stock. I'm just as happy.

They don't promise deadlines. They make an estimate, and sometimes there are backlogs, new models, lots of things that slow the process down.

You're much better off simply buying from dealer stock if you don't want to wait forever.

I speak as someone who special-ordered for many years, including Private Stock. It's a long wait. Now I buy from dealer stock. I'm just as happy.

I've ordered a non-10-top piece in Black gold burst (BW) color. They were expecting a shipment of ten 24-08 instruments (various colors) to arrive in April, but I think only one of them arrived so far (purple iris).

I really like this color and can't find it elsewhere. I could perhaps go for Cobalt blue, found a few offers on Reverb, but these are all non-10-top pieces for a 10-top price - which I'm not going to pay (real 10-tops are also not available). I also loved the Copperhead burst finish (probably the most) that PRS was doing on their 35th Anniversary edition, but can't find this anywhere.

As I want a new - or at least newish - instrument, in the mentioned colors and for a fair price, I do not have much other choices it seems.

If I'm missing some dealers who have these instruments on stock, I would love to know! :)

Great advice Les….… for me as well, although with the new core series reaching new heights of cost, I’ve been very happy with the 2 S2’s I bought or traded locally. Happy to have my 2 core models that get the most play……. I do my business with John Mann. They’ve been a great dealer and he’s local to me

Last edited:
I've ordered a non-10-top piece in Black gold burst (BW) color. They were expecting a shipment of ten 24-08 instruments (various colors) to arrive in April, but I think only one of them arrived so far (purple iris).

I really like this color and can't find it elsewhere. I could perhaps go for Cobalt blue, found a few offers on Reverb, but these are all non-10-top pieces for a 10-top price - which I'm not going to pay (real 10-tops are also not available). I also loved the Copperhead burst finish (probably the most) that PRS was doing on their 35th Anniversary edition, but can't find this anywhere.

As I want a new - or at least newish - instrument, in the mentioned colors and for a fair price, I do not have much other choices it seems.

If I'm missing some dealers who have these instruments on stock, I would love to know! :)
I always buy from one shop, Northeast Music Center, but it's been awhile since I visited the website. If I see anything I'll let you know!

Great advice Les….… for me as well, although with the new core series reaching new heights of cost, I’ve been very happy with the 2 S2’s I bought or traded locally. New they are worth every penny. Used, they’re a bargain!
I'm just not the most patient person any more, I guess! ;)

The S2s are wonderful guitars. I was very impressed with them when they first came out and I saw a few when visiting the factory. They look and feel 100% the business. One of them had an Egyptian Gold finish that knocked my socks off. Just beautiful.

It can be a long wait, I reserved a pre-order Special Semi Hollow in Cobalt blue in July of 2021. Original ETA was later that year. It's been a long wait but I'm confident it will get finished up soon. FYI Cobalt Blue is discontinued so if one of those catches your eye it would be worth grabbing.

It can be a long wait, I reserved a pre-order Special Semi Hollow in Cobalt blue in July of 2021. Original ETA was later that year. It's been a long wait but I'm confident it will get finished up soon. FYI Cobalt Blue is discontinued so if one of those catches your eye it would be worth grabbing.
Wow, you are waiting for more than 2 years?! That's crazy.

You know, my expectation was that making a guitar is a known and predictable process, especially in a company with 40 years of history and experience.
So when PRS plans the orders with their local dealers, I would expect they can miss it by several weeks, maybe few months...but 2 years?

Btw, I've seen that the other models (than 24-08) are much more available. I was considering Special Semi Hollow too and found it in several shops on internet, all kinds of finishes and variations, many of them for a good price. I suppose you know, but just in case. :)

Last edited:
Wow, you are waiting for more than 2 years?! That's crazy.

You know, my expectation was that making a guitar is a known and predictable process, especially in a company with 40 years of history and experience.
So when PRS plans the orders with their local dealers, I would expect they can miss it by several weeks, maybe few months...but 2 years?

Btw, I've seen that the other models (than 24-08) are much more available. I was considering Special Semi Hollow too and found it in several shops on internet, all kinds of finishes and variations, many of them for a good price. I suppose you know, but just in case. :)
Definitely been longer than I was expecting haha at the time it seemed the quickest option. The dealer has been great to work with and they stay on top of updates for me so I am waiting it out. There have been a few Cobalt Special Semi Hollows out there now that are tempting but I'm gonna stick it out. ETA is currently next week so we shall see.

I have heard too many stories of delays to order a guitar that wasn’t in stock. I don’t trust the estimates of dealers who are going off of estimates of their sales reps who are going off of estimates of production who are going off of estimates of suppliers… It would be interesting to see how they manage the backlog of orders and continue to release new models and get them out the door along with the orders that were placed years ago.

Definitely been longer than I was expecting haha at the time it seemed the quickest option. The dealer has been great to work with and they stay on top of updates for me so I am waiting it out. There have been a few Cobalt Special Semi Hollows out there now that are tempting but I'm gonna stick it out. ETA is currently next week so we shall see.
I understand, my approach is the same...I wonder how long my patience will last. :D

I wish you to be happy with what you get, fingers crossed!

I wish I could find the thread. Somewhere on here someone talks about the "custom" build process. Meaning, someone orders a Core model, but a couple things are different than the normal model. This just doesn't go into the production line as a regular build. So, for example, if they are building 24-08 numbers 100-200, that means a special order doesn't go in that range. It kind of goes into "we'll get to it when something else similar gets ordered." I don't know if I am making sense, but that thread went into some detail about how it works. Not saying I think that's the way it should be done. Didn't really make sense to me, but it was their process.

I wish I could find the thread. Somewhere on here someone talks about the "custom" build process. Meaning, someone orders a Core model, but a couple things are different than the normal model. This just doesn't go into the production line as a regular build. So, for example, if they are building 24-08 numbers 100-200, that means a special order doesn't go in that range. It kind of goes into "we'll get to it when something else similar gets ordered." I don't know if I am making sense, but that thread went into some detail about how it works. Not saying I think that's the way it should be done. Didn't really make sense to me, but it was their process.
I could understand this to a reasonable degree, but I have ordered the regular, standard, non-10-top Custom 24-08. Hope they'll find a spot in the production line for me. Soon. :)

I was wondering that on the guitar I reserved. I didn't put the order in, the store had already had it ordered I just put my money down to reserve it. But being that it's Cobalt Blue I thought maybe they do runs of them so mine is in-line for when another "run" of Cobalts are being done? Who knows. They will eventually come in.

I was wondering that on the guitar I reserved. I didn't put the order in, the store had already had it ordered I just put my money down to reserve it. But being that it's Cobalt Blue I thought maybe they do runs of them so mine is in-line for when another "run" of Cobalts are being done? Who knows. They will eventually come in.
Same for me, I emailed Thomann in Nov 2022 asking about the Custom 24-08 in Black gold burst and they replied "hey, we're expecting a batch of instruments in April, including this one" so I booked it.

Since April, I always get all excited and ask how it looks and every month they push it to the next one (so now they made an exception and pushed it straight to November, I guess they're sick of me :)).

What is you experience?

I have a similar dilemma. I ordered a Fiore when they were announced, and ended up cancelling it. It was never going to arrive. Why do PRS and other guitar msg's announce new guitars, then 18 mos. later, they still are unavailable??????? Getting worse every year, and don't tell me "supply chain"......

I have some strengths but patience is not among them. The only time I ordered a guitar from factory was around 2001-2002 when I bought my Ibanez RG Prestige. If memory does not fail it was a 9 months wait..an excruciating wait. From then on I have always followed László's advice of only buying stock. Gosh, even waiting 4 o 5 days for a Reverb shipment to arrive puts me on my nerves...cannot imagine right now waiting 1 year+ for "that" gorgeous guitar to be in my hands.

Ordered my January retirement 2019 guitar in July 2018. Didn't receive it until late Fall of 2019. 2019 Artist grade Special 22 Semi Hollow... Was well worth the wait!!!

It's in the Garnet and Black flavor, colors of my alma mater, The University of South Carolina.

A lot of people aren't crazy about these pickups, but rolled off a little bit they're killer. Full tilt, I'd almost classify them more metal suited, or really aggressive hard rock
Pb9yRsO.jpg

bBt93Oj.jpg

jwY2jHh.jpeg

oOeSJFa.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi 12manD, I was just wondering if you're enjoying your new guitar already...or the wait is not over yet. :)

Back