Warm and fat humbuckers on a P22?

Rivers

I am trying to get my PRS P22 sound more fat like my LP that has the Classic 57 and 57+ in them. I really like how fat and warm sounding they can get on both the neck and bridge pups. Can any one recommend me some other pickups that would be a good fit? I play mostly clean or with a ting of overdrive. Thanks!

Last edited:
What does it have now? They started out with 5310's, then briefly 5708's which they still are but are labeled P22 pickups. Because of the piezo system, you need the pickups to be wired for that system. I forget all the details on it.

If you post the date of manufacture, we may be able to guess what's in there, you can also email PRS customer service and ask them :)

The pickups only differ because the bridge pickup is out of phase with the neck with standard wiring. If you put new pickups in, you'll need to swap the hot and ground on the bridge PU I'm pretty sure (or flip the magnet).

57/08s then for sure. Surprised you can't get the tones you want out of them, I'm sure some guys can suggest some replacements if that's what you need to do :)

If you post the date of manufacture, we may be able to guess what's in there, you can also email PRS customer service and ask them :)

The pickups only differ because the bridge pickup is out of phase with the neck with standard wiring. If you put new pickups in, you'll need to swap the hot and ground on the bridge PU I'm pretty sure (or flip the magnet).

Actually, I think you need to do both. but ONLY if you use the blended output. if you use separate outputs, you don't have to change anything. that is how my HBII is wired.. I had Artist PUs installed with a 5 way rotary.. sounds great...

I went through a phase of wanting my prs to get that les Paul tone. In short I ended up buying a les Paul and I love the prs for what it is and only expect it to sound like a prs.

I went through a phase of wanting my prs to get that les Paul tone. In short I ended up buying a les Paul and I love the prs for what it is and only expect it to sound like a prs.
This!!! That prs will never sound like a Les Paul!!

What does it have now? They started out with 5310's, then briefly 5708's which they still are but are labeled P22 pickups. Because of the piezo system, you need the pickups to be wired for that system. I forget all the details on it.

Actually, the 2016s have switched to 58/15s (and 85/15s in the P24).

OP, have you tried adjusting the heights of the pickups? That can make a significant difference. Some people also think string gauge makes a noticeable difference, with the piezo especially. If you really want to change them out though, I'm not nearly well versed enough in different pickups to give good suggestions for getting a specific sound...

I replaced the 53/10s in my P22 with McCarty pickups about a year-and-a-half ago. Very glad I did!

Yeah, 53/10s are not exactly fat and warm. I like a DGT in the Bridge and a 59/09 in the neck, vol rolled back just a touch. Fat and warm with clarity, pretty damn close to a LP.

Try some of the better potted PAF. WCR, Lollar and Bareknuckle would all be excellent. I really want to try a few of those in an SC58.

Back