Wait time for special orders

Ken P

Wondering what others' experiences have been. Ordered McCarty 10 top back in March. Was supposed to be delivered 2nd full week in June. Today I was informed by dealer that it may not be until "towards the end of summer." How are McCarty 594's, added to the line after my order, being delivered, but not orders prior to the 594 being added to the regular line? Seems like a long time for a regular issue model with the only mod being the 10 top.

Many possible reasons. PRS doesn't build every order received as it's received. They tend to build guitars in batches, filling orders from all over. Build a batch of CU-22s, 24s, SCs, etc....

It's possible your particular guitar build was down graded from a 10 after carving. Or, it didn't take the stain well. So they started over.

Or... It's possible your dealer is a bit behind in his bills and PRS isn't shipping any more product until they catch up. It happens...

The dealer is Sweetwater, so it's not a money thing, just curious, but thank you for your reply.

I discussed this very topic with a PRS sales rep at a dealer event last year after I received my P245 Semi Hollow artist package. In my case, the time estimate was 16 weeks and it actually took 18. The rep said my experience was pretty common but sometimes a flaw shows in finishing where the guitar has to be refinished which could delay it several months. Sometimes the flaw is serious enough that the guitar can't be finished to the correct specs and they may paint it a darker color or even destroy it depending on the flaw. In this case, he said they look for an available guitar that's being built that could match the ordered specs. In some cases, there are no guitars that would match so they have to completely start over in which case you're looking at 8-10 months instead of 4-5 months.

The wait time of 8-10 months is still less then many of my custom orders with various companies, such as Fender, Gibson, Vigier, et.al.

My average wait time was usually 12-18 months.

Back