Tuning up a half step?

John Stephen

Anyone have any experience turning UP a half step -- so tuning is from F to F? It would involve my SE Custom 22 semi-hollowbody, and would be for one gig. I know, I could just use a capo on the first fret, and probably will, but none of my capos work very well on electric guitars. Just wondering if the guitar and setup will sustain the higher tuning very well.

Anyone have any experience turning UP a half step -- so tuning is from F to F? It would involve my SE Custom 22 semi-hollowbody, and would be for one gig. I know, I could just use a capo on the first fret, and probably will, but none of my capos work very well on electric guitars. Just wondering if the guitar and setup will sustain the higher tuning very well.
I am using a capo more often than I like in church, but I must say the G7 works very well for my electric. Although I don't like using them, they come recommended from my end.

What I do is drop down a string gauge when tuning a step up (if it's only for one gig) this should even out the tension between tuning and feel(should simar to your normal string but at the higher tuning). This is usually applied to either my Zach Myers or my 50th Anniversary "1962" Epiphone Sheraton with no adverse affects

I've done this before. It will require a new setup from what you have right now and I recommend going to a lighter string gauge. When I did it I was using 8's.

I guess a little addendum about what you get in F standard...its an interesting tuning. I once had a discussion with someone years ago about how higher tunings sound more abrasive. I think, and dont quote me on this, but there are some early Metallica recordings where I think they sometimes were in either F or a quarter step up (probably from either tape speed distortion or nobody knew how to tune by ear to exactly A440 and just went with whatever. To my ears they sounded more raw than late records that had more standardized tuning and recording methods

Thanks to all who have responded. Since it was just for one gig, I decided to use a capo. Some good info here, though, in case the need arises again. Much obliged.

Back